Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· *Registered
2013 SLK250
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

First post so please be gentle....

I have a 2013 R172, The rear screen heat and the door mirrors are not heating up. (I believe that they are on the same circuit?, although happy to be wrong about that!).

I've checked the 30A fuse in the back/boot/trunk and replaced the relay (bought from Merc), and I can hear the relay "clicking" when I turn the heat on with the button on the dash (the light on the button lights up fine).

Any pointers, wiring diagrams or suggestions are very welcome...

Thanks.

· *Administrator (Premium Member)
44,644 Posts
A gathering of heated mirrors for 172s:

A gathering of heated rear screen for 172s:

Fuses

Have either worked previously? Asking for a friend ;)

· *Registered
2013 SLK250
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Avel Du,

Thank you for this, I will have a check of another fuse (12) having already checked 49. I'm not sure if it's worked previously as I haven't had the car long, having just swapped from a C Class, and have only just needed the rear de-frost for the first time during this recent winter weather we are currently having in the UK.

· *Registered
2012 SLK250CDI
631 Posts
I wonder if the rear screen issue could have anything to do with broken wires? The rear screen moves a lot when the roof goes down so there must be wiring somewhere that moves with it. Reminds me a bit of the problem with broken wires on the boot lid hinge, they give a similar problem on the rear brake light etc when they flex and break.

44,644 Posts
Avel Du,

Thank you for this, I will have a check of another fuse (12) having already checked 49. I'm not sure if it's worked previously as I haven't had the car long, having just swapped from a C Class, and have only just needed the rear de-frost for the first time during this recent winter weather we are currently having in the UK.

Have you got heated mirrors listed on your data card? Not all cars have it and some only have drivers mirror?
My experience is R171, not !72. Do your mirror look exactly the same?

I'll post a couple of 171 links for rear screen as might be two issues, not one.

This is the issue David refers to methinks, but for 171:

· **Premium Member 2018 SLC43
4,821 Posts
Have you got heated mirrors listed on your data card? Not all cars have it and some only have drivers mirror?
My experience is R171, not !72. Do your mirror look exactly the same?
Looking at the UK MY2015 R172 Brochure, Heated Mirrors where part of the standard equipment:
Font Material property Rectangle Parallel Number

But the Auto Dimming/Folding Mirrors where optional:
Rectangle Parallel Font Slope Number

· *Registered
2013 SLK250
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking at the UK MY2015 R172 Brochure, Heated Mirrors where part of the standard equipment:
View attachment 623769

But the Auto Dimming/Folding Mirrors where optional:
View attachment 623770
I wonder if the rear screen issue could have anything to do with broken wires? The rear screen moves a lot when the roof goes down so there must be wiring somewhere that moves with it. Reminds me a bit of the problem with broken wires on the boot lid hinge, they give a similar problem on the rear brake light etc when they flex and break.
Thanks, I had a quick check, it all looks in really good condition, but I'll have a better look in the daylight. Great suggestion though, thank you, it didn't even occur to me to check wiring.

· *Registered
2013 SLK250
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Trev5, Avel Du,

I believe I have heated mirrors and rear screen heat and they are on the same circuit (hence I thought it was the fuse or relay). Very happy to be corrected.

I don't believe my mirrors are moveable, and I'm not bothered about that. I just want to see where I'm going (or rather, where I have been and what the clown behind me is up to).

Has anyone got experience is re-programming a SAM? is it a "thing"? could this resolve it?

Once again, thank you very much for your help.

· Administrator (Canada)
24,275 Posts
Like Trev said--standard.

BUT the mirrors heat up when the rear def is turned on so if one isn't working......?

Having said that, my passenger side has a code (ie not working) BUT I have no idea if the rear window def works or not (because of that fault) as I don't drive during winter months (Nov-Apr) to be able to test it.

· *Registered
2013 SLK250
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Like Trev said--standard.

BUT the mirrors heat up when the rear def is turned on so if one isn't working......?

Having said that, my passenger side has a code (ie not working) BUT I have no idea if the rear window def works or not (because of that fault) as I don't drive during winter months (Nov-Apr) to be able to test it.
Hi,

Thanks for replying.

Nothing is heating up. Rear view, or either mirror.

· Administrator (Canada)
24,275 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for replying.

Nothing is heating up. Rear view, or either mirror.
Are you able to run a scan to see if a code pops up? It WON"T show on the dash.

I do get a code for faulty mirror. Personally, don't care if it heats or not. It still folds and is adjustable though, just the heating element is kaput.

44,644 Posts
Trev5, Avel Du,

I believe I have heated mirrors and rear screen heat and they are on the same circuit (hence I thought it was the fuse or relay). Very happy to be corrected.

I don't believe my mirrors are moveable, and I'm not bothered about that. I just want to see where I'm going (or rather, where I have been and what the clown behind me is up to).

Has anyone got experience is re-programming a SAM? is it a "thing"? could this resolve it?

Once again, thank you very much for your help.
Let's shout one of the very wise wrt the above.

@VII7

· Administrator (Canada)
24,275 Posts
Whilst searching, I came across several shall we say "opinions" about various MB models: some are on the same circuit, some are on different circuits, some work independently of each other, some don't, some have etc etc

So, probably best to wait till someone who knows to reply (y)

· *Registered
2013 SLK250
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They are not part of the same circuit.
Mirror heating is controlled by each door control module.
Typical reasons for both to not operate is breaks in the resistance film behind the glass.
Test voltage supply at plug.
Thank you.

Do you mean the plug behind where the door mirror plugs into the wire (as in take the mirror off).

Would this also include the rear screen not working, or would this be a coincidence?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts