Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My headliner recently started sagging. I guess at 82,000 miles and 12 years it was bound to eventually happen. I thought I would try to fix it myself since the headliner material is still in excellent condition.

Based on online instructions, it is removed by 9 total phillips screws. On my SLK the three front screws were phillips head. No problem there. The three on each side are not. I tried allen wrenches in them with no luck finding a fit and need to get a brighter light to see the screw heads better.

Does anyone know if these side screws require a special tool that only the dealer has or can I find the right tool locally? I was told MB sometimes uses a square pattern in their screw heads.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,881 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeff,

Thanks for moving my post to this area. I looked at the Pelican Parts link you provided last night. My issue is that I have to figure out how to remove the side screws. A coworker and I are going to look at it today to determine what tool is needed for those screws. They are definitely not phillips as stated in the Pelican article. Appreciate the help. BTW...you have a nice looking ride.

Steve

·
Founding Member 2006
108,881 Posts
Thanks Steve! members that have removed/done their headliner will respond hopefully! :D

They are probably Torx/star

·
*Premium Member
2019 SLC300
2,862 Posts
i am having the same problem...once removed...wich adhesive / glue should i use?

You cannot just glue the old back up. It has a foam backing that is going bad and it will just come lose as the old foam keeps going bad. There are many websites that sell headliner cloth and the correct adhesive to install the new cloth. When I did mine I changed from a cloth material to a vinyl material when I had a 170.

While you have the headliner out check the top cylinder that unlatches the roof at the windshield that it is staring to leak. Many 170 have had them to start leaking and the leaking oil will stain the new headliner. There are posts on this site on repairs the cylinder. You can find a repair kit on Ebay to use to replace the "O" rings that are leaking. "O" kit can be bought at this site. http://www.ebay.com/itm/96-04-Merce...ash=item419b4f0e3f:g:JIYAAOSwo3pWdYjF&vxp=mtr

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.