Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a simple way to clean the hydraulic oil from the headliner With the headliner out of the car. I used Shout. It cleaned it up fine. And my headliner was half full of oil. It had a parting line where the oil stopped. I applied the Shout liberally, and scrubbed it with a brush, then some paper towels. Then let it dry.
You can no longer see where the oil had gotten to. It is all one color. And no oily feel to the touch.

Now in the next couple of days I attack the task of replacing the seals on the hydraulic cylinders. Have the instructions, seals, tools, and some used cylinders on hand. So it shouldn't be to hard.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
I ordered seals for my cylinders on Saturday as a preventive thing. I want to replace the seal in the lock cylinder before it spills oil on my headliner.

Good job cleaning your headliner up. Mine is overall in good shape but there are a few dirty spots and I will give this at try.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks! I was about to order a new headliner, but I'm going to try that first. BTW, when you rebuild the cylinder, use a jewelers screwdriver to take the C clip out. Its a little easier than the picks. And dont forget to tape up the rod. You cant help but use it as leverage. Good luck.

·
Registered
113 Posts
So you used "Shout" to clean the vinyl material itself or the backer material. The stiff stuff that gives the actual form for the vinyl to stick to?????

Did you remove the vinyl from the backer and clean both???

How did you and what did you use to get the vinyl to stick to the backer?????

Glad you got it removed............. For me, to get the circuit out I used a scribe pointed tool to get under the circuit and "pry" out.

By the way, the same circuit system is used as a keeper on BMW piston wrist pins. I became very adept at removing them after just a few. By the time you are through with the whole car you will just be popping them out..... God Bless.........Dennis

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you used "Shout" to clean the vinyl material itself or the backer material. The stiff stuff that gives the actual form for the vinyl to stick to?????

Did you remove the vinyl from the backer and clean both???

How did you and what did you use to get the vinyl to stick to the backer?????

Glad you got it removed............. For me, to get the circuit out I used a scribe pointed tool to get under the circuit and "pry" out.

By the way, the same circuit system is used as a keeper on BMW piston wrist pins. I became very adept at removing them after just a few. By the time you are through with the whole car you will just be popping them out..... God Bless.........Dennis
My headliner never separated It is cloth not vinyl with what seems to be a foam backing. I spray a lot of shout on it, then scrubbed it with a towel. I have built a lot of drag race motors and JE pistons always come with circlips to hold in their piston pins. Been taking them out and putting them in for a long time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.