Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! 2001 SLK 320 R170 that according to data card has Bosch lamps.
My novice question is can I update my headlights and if so to what?
Would the update be worth the cost or am I better off to leave them as they are??
Thanks for any and all comments (in advance).
McSLK

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
106,116 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its not the how...its the why

Thanks Jeff for your helpful (as always) reply.
Yes, I did search but you provided links I did not pull up so thank you! However, these links seem much more focused on the how to/DIY details and it is not the how... it is more the why I want to see discussed. I am looking for any discussion on why to go with different lights and what the benefits are, if any. Any hints in that direction?
Thanks for all!
McSLK

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
106,116 Posts

·
Professional Troublemaker
257 Posts
Lots of us have updated headlights and/or tail lights, it is all in what style you like. Have you looked in the mod threads to see what others have done?

·
Registered 2002 SLK230
61 Posts
That's the problem with this site. Try and get a simple reply or a good suggestion and you get strung along. Came home yesterday with a front light out and looked here (and Amazon) and a few other places. Hoped to get a good strong recommendation...found anything else but. Got a post by the GIC with a list of R7 bulbs, but it's a couple of years old (2012), and am sure things have changed. And the bulbs - going by Amazon's reviews - are less than overwhelming. Seems they are either bright or they don't last long...well, ooopps....they are varying degrees of not as bright as people want and they also don't last very long. My home now has nothing but LEDs nowadays...even got a very cheap interior set (pretty bright white) for my Honda Pilot and they sent a wrong type bulb in the set for the tailgate, and complaining, they sent an entire second set for free (with the needed festoon tailgte bulb). Put left overs in the R170! Anyway, back to the headlights. My (cheep) R170 - the last sports car I'll ever own - is now pushing 83K miles was bought back in 2002; just a simple kompressor. I need a pair of H7 bulbs, and just think it's plain stoopid to take it to the dealer. I hate to go to O'Reilly or Advance Auto, and prefer just ordering on Amazon (or eBay) and waiting a few days. So what's bright enough AND relatively long-lasting? Nighthawks, CrystalVision, Silverstars, or what these days? $25 or $40 (a pair or each) just doesn't matter to me. Lots of talk about 'upgrades,' so do the LEDs available put out enough light for high and low beams as H7 replacements? Do tungstens just fit in the hole where the H7 went and connect with the same connector? (Search on this site leaves much to be desired, though there are a lot of smarter and more experienced members than me!) Simple recommendation for a good replacement bulb, please? Thanks for the attention. (Oh, and thanks for the good moderation, MSG Banks. Not much of a contributor, but I do lurk and read...and enjoy. I didn't mean to sound like a flame above. As an old Army CWO, I only enjoyed success due to my sergeants!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.