Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I used one of those headlight refresher kits and here are the results...
Clear difference, but still not great, the interior of the headlights appear to be pretty problematic, too.
Is it possible to do the same thing to the inside of the headlight, or should I just consider replacing it entirely with something snazzy? If the latter, what do you recommend?

Attachments

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,459 Posts

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,935 Posts
Put on some Spyders. The ones they make for the R170 look great. Lots of people on the forum have them so it shouldn't be too hard to find some pictures.

·
Registered 2001 SLK230
106 Posts
I have one new head light so even though my other light wasn't that bad it showed. I tried doing the job by hand and wasn't happy with it. I bought the kit that uses a drill, and it came out fine. Unless you know there is a difference you can see it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Headlight refresh...

Nice job! It's a lot of work when you're dealing with years of wear and tear. The OEM headlights throw a good low beam by comparison to the Spyders (that I now have installed). With mine being a Euro spec model, the low beams are adjustable (up/down) from the instrument panel via vacuum, now plugged.

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
75 Posts
ya, i just tried meguiars... better than before but not great. looks like the links a few posts back that gave favourable reviews were all for gen 2 & 3 cars that don't get the really bad yellow that the R170's get.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The only way to really do it is wet sanding then machine polishing. Start with 1500, then 2000, 2500 and 3000. Then compound out with a DA. Problem is you loose the coating and UV protection so you need to keep them sealed and waxed. Eventually they'll need replacing though.

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
75 Posts
yes, that's exactly what the kit is... a series of grades of w&d sandpaper, a polishing compound and some kind of wax. had i known i could have done the same job with stuff i have lying around the garage!

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
75 Posts
came out a little better than mine! either you had more patience or the turtle wax kit is a bit better than the meguiars... goes to show, expensive isn't always best!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.