Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to remove the headlight lens and all info on this site tells me to remove the marker light, but no one tells me how to do it.

I would like a simple explanation of how to get this lens out so that I can access the headlight mounting bolts.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,077 Posts

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,440 Posts
To remove the headlight unit is done by raising the hood and there are two screws on the top of the headlight, remove them. Under the headlight unit is a tab you use a screw driver to release and the unit is lose to remove. It is a tight to side out, removing the grill helps a little.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Light Removal, part 2

In my previous query I wanted to know how to remove the Marker (?) or Turn Signal light. My 1999 SLK has a 2 part headlight turn signal light cluster. I have been told that I have to remove the turn signal cluster first and then there are 3 bolts that secure the headlight unit.

I repeat my question: how do I remove the turn signal light unit???

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Moved to your original thread - it helps other users to keep all the information together.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The turn signal lights slides into the main headlight unit. There is just a tab that holds it in. If you look behind the headlight where turn signal is you'll see it. You press on the tab than push. Than it slides right out. Once it is out you'll see the third screw holding in the main housing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,527 Posts
Heres another pic
place a screwdriver in the hole & move the screwdriver towards the radiator then rearward.
The turn signal assembly should be able to slide out & you can see the 3rd bolt.

There are instructions in the owners manual & the SLK Encyclopedia under Disassembly

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tips. This morning I pushed the magic spot on the turn signal lamp assembly, removed it, then found the 3 bolts holding the headlight assembly and removed them. After a bit of wiggling I had the headlight assembly out, pulled the clips and found the gummy seal had deteriorated in several places.

No hope of buying a replacement, so I used the best available substitute--clear silicone RTV. Put the unit back in place.
Elapsed time: less than 1 hour. Later I tried the water test--No leaks. Problem solved. Let the next owner figure out how to get the RTV seal broken.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.