Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, just purchased a 2000 pre-facelift 230k and the headlamp switch has a minor intermittent fault. Does anyone know whether this switch is fitted to any other mercedes car? Also, any link to a service manual would be grateful (Haynes don't appear to list one). Thanks, Robert

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,718 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Seems to be MS Windows version only. Guess what platform I use! Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pm me your vin (or post it here) and I'll look up the part number for you. You can then most likely find a replacement on eBay or similar...
Will only get to it in about 6 hours though, if no one else responds first...

·
93,718 Posts
Pm me your vin (or post it here) and I'll look up the part number for you. You can then most likely find a replacement on eBay or similar...
Will only get to it in about 6 hours though, if no one else responds first...

he cannot pm you
he has less than 15 posts

you can pm him with your email address though :D

·
93,718 Posts
this site allows one to cross reference parts across mb models

Mercedes-Benz Teilekatalog (Ersatzteile online)

Dear automotive friends!

We are pleased to present you a complete catalog of original parts of all Mercedes-Benz car production and model series.

In this catalog you will be able to find every Mercedes-Benz car and every spare part with detailed description and detailed pictures. The selection of the necessary spare part, the corresponding sketch for this part as well as the mechanisms that can be carried out is very easy with a suitable VIN number.

In addition to the VIN number, information such as the year of manufacture and the exact model designation may be very helpful. If, however, this information is not available to you, you will be able to select your model, the year of manufacture and the type of engine by means of a structured make list.

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Mine failed. Progressively. At 110,000km.on a '98 SLK230.
Instrument lights would not come on.
Bought new replacement, was not cheap.
Fixed problem.
I am pretty sure it was a '170....' part number which seems to indicate it is not shared with other models.
I pulled the old one apart. It has a folding flexible wrap around printed circuit board.
During assembly it wraps around the core and
Is progressively soldered to each side, and various plastic bits snap on.
Very interesting design idea, and absolutely not serviceable.
The core has all the contacts that engage as the switch is turned, and pulled(for foglights).
I never did find any evidence of the faulty contact.
Makes a rubic cube look just too easy.

Just buy the new replacement part and fit.
A second hand part might be years or just weeks from going bad.
Set my limit of $100 for a used part, if reasonable mileage.,$50 for high mileage, but never found one.
Replacement ( see Pelican Parts) can be done out the side, but is easier if you remove
some of the lower trim screws to give some more room.
Now replaced , should last another 20 years.,,,,,,for whoever buys my '230.

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Switch p/n

Hi
Part number for the headlight switch module is A1705450504
Yes, that is the same part number that I bought, for a '98, 230K , RHD.

Fitment took less than an hour, maybe 30 minutes taking it really gently so as not to break any more screw
fittings.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, that is the same part number that I bought, for a '98, 230K , RHD.

Fitment took less than an hour, maybe 30 minutes taking it really gently so as not to break any more screw

fittings.

Thanks again. I am now on the lookout for one at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Trebor. was quoted over $700 AUD for the same switch, over $1000 from a main dealer, but found on on ebay in UK for about 100 pounds, it arrived here fairly quick and put and end to a few electrical issues I was having. Check e bay and also check facebook there are a few there breaking SLK,s Good Luck

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Bryn, been looking most places and yesterday managed to get one from a breakers yards for £35+vat. It's not arrived yet, so can't report on its function. Will update when I've fitted it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts