Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Kleemann Headers and Downpipe arrived last week, now I'm saving some money to install them as I had to pay what I can only describe as a huge $*@!)(@# amount of money on taxes. Hopefully I can install in the next month or so.

I wanted to check if there's anything special I should be aware when installing these? I already talked to the Kleemann tech and got some good information, I bought my 55 with the exhaust already modified by the previous owner and I believe he removed the resonators already (from my visual inspection), I really really hope he didn't remove the 2nd cat as I'll have to remove the 1st one for the downpipe. My only fear is that it will be too loud, and since I don't have the spare parts anymore, it's not like I can put them back in.
On the plus side, Brazil doesn't have any emissions test so I don't care about any of that and can play around as I wish.

I'm going to dyno before and after to see what I get, I'm hoping for 400-410hp. Have to factor in the horrible fuel we have here, so I'm shooting low.

PS: yes my cat makes an appearance in the 2nd picture, he wouldn't leave the thing alone for a picture.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,186 Posts
you did get your ecu tuned for the header additions right?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you did get your ecu tuned for the header additions right?
I was thinking of doing that along with the install. Since I understand the MIL light will turn on due to the removal of the 1st cat. My understanding is that I can even do it after the install? Or should I do it before, regardless?

·
94,186 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes that's what I understand will happen, I might do it before I install the headers then just to avoid the light altogether.
I was bummed to see that I only got the fender badge, wanted to get the one I can put on the engine cover as well.

·
94,186 Posts
You only get that one when you get the Supercharger :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I thought so!
I thought I would at least get the one with 'Kleemann' spelled out so I could just put it on the engine cover. Guess not!

·
94,186 Posts
Yes, I thought so!
I thought I would at least get the one with 'Kleemann' spelled out so I could just put it on the engine cover. Guess not!
you should have gotten the one with Kleemann spelled out and the little red one

you did not get one similar to this?

·
94,186 Posts
and this

both should have come with your headers

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No! I only got two little red one which says 'Kleemann >'. I don't know where I'll put those ones, maybe in the back with the AMG logo, no idea..
I wanted that one for the engine cover, guess I got screwed.

·
94,186 Posts
Here was it on my previous cover before the Supercharger

I put 1 sticker on my windshield lower right and one under the SLK 55

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good ideas, might do that too.
Damn I really want that one with Kleemann spelled out, maybe I`ll try reaching out to the Kleeman person I bought it from, worth a shot.

·
94,186 Posts
yes, contact them...

here is the windshield one

·
94,186 Posts
Absolutely!
check out my albums for other ideas.
Spend that money!

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
868 Posts
My Kleemann Headers and Downpipe arrived last week, now I'm saving some money to install them as I had to pay what I can only describe as a huge $*@!)(@# amount of money on taxes. Hopefully I can install in the next month or so.

I wanted to check if there's anything special I should be aware when installing these? I already talked to the Kleemann tech and got some good information, I bought my 55 with the exhaust already modified by the previous owner and I believe he removed the resonators already (from my visual inspection), I really really hope he didn't remove the 2nd cat as I'll have to remove the 1st one for the downpipe. My only fear is that it will be too loud, and since I don't have the spare parts anymore, it's not like I can put them back in.
On the plus side, Brazil doesn't have any emissions test so I don't care about any of that and can play around as I wish.

I'm going to dyno before and after to see what I get, I'm hoping for 400-410hp. Have to factor in the horrible fuel we have here, so I'm shooting low.

PS: yes my cat makes an appearance in the 2nd picture, he wouldn't leave the thing alone for a picture.

very interesting - I'm not a million miles from your predicament. I've got the headers (though no down-pipes) and no 2nd cats - I'm hoping that I'll be able to get a small down pipe fab'd to join up to the primary cats... I'll let you know how get on.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
very interesting - I'm not a million miles from your predicament. I've got the headers (though no down-pipes) and no 2nd cats - I'm hoping that I'll be able to get a small down pipe fab'd to join up to the primary cats... I'll let you know how get on.
I assume since you only changed the headers you didn`t do any ECU changes, right? I believe ECU changes are only needed when you mess around with the primary cat.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Absolutely!
check out my albums for other ideas.
Spend that money!
Too late for that, money already gone haha.
Jeff, question, do you recall how many hp you had when you only did the headers and downpipe? not sure if you ever dyno'ed at that time.

·
94,186 Posts
Too late for that, money already gone haha.
Jeff, question, do you recall how many hp you had when you only did the headers and downpipe? not sure if you ever dyno'ed at that time.
never dyno'd
but by paper numbers from Kleemann
you get 25 hp from ecu tune

55-K1(N/A): An optimized ECU software upgrade. Up to 385 HP and 545 Nm (404 lb-ft) of torque.

and 25 hp from headers

55-K2(N/A): K1 + a set of stainless steel tubular exhaust headers and downpipes. Up to 415 HP and 565 Nm (419 lb-ft) of torque.

so figure 360 oem at that time plus 50 hp = est. 415-419 hp

1 - 20 of 27 Posts