Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have been watching the posts here on the forum in regards to headers.. what has caught my eye , that even though i have the MY09 300 hp engine , it comes with std , restrictive exhaust manifolds .. why ???? when you are building a performance engine, no idea ???? :crying:
so with the tyranny of distance being in Australia , trying to find exhaust manifolds that will bump up HP has been an issue.
Finding some on Ebay , by the time i convert to AUS currency , import taxes and freight, i cringe at the $$$$..
i am so tempted to see about fabricating my own via my exhaust centre (who does lots of custom work) but my concern is getting exhaust flanges etc ..
so my questions are;
**what would be the better brand of headers to get for optimal street performance?
** do i go short or long header length
** what sort of HP gains would i expect from this mod?
** does anyone have any contacts here in Aus that may help out or stock some units??
**then we have the issue of remapping the ECU , what to do ? is it that i am just trying to block the signal from the cat or am i trying to re adjust air/fuel ratio due to the difference in back pressure and flow? Or both?

i have found these as to compare , so your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.... :grin:

Kleemann Mercedes Exhaust Headers | Mercedes M272 V6 Engine Headers for SLK R171

Sport Headers M272 350 Engine C350 E350 SLK350 GLK350 CLS350 Sport Headers M272 350 Engine C350 E350 SLK350 GLK350 CLS350 [M272-HKT-KLEE] - £1,195.00 : CKS Performance

bekkers.com R171 SLK350 Supersprint Headers

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
94,100 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so i have ordered the kleenman headers and high flow cat ..
so now i need to remap the ECU or get some O2 simulators / eliminators ..
it will be easier for me to find the o2 sensors ... can anyone help me here on this question

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and so it begins .... and i have found a Euro performance centre that can work the ECU for extra OOMPH and fit the exhaust ..

more HP
better sound

life just cant get any better

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so car is booked in with a company here in melb, where the owner worked for AMG racing.. only been here for 3 years and was stating that with the ECU upgrade and headers , we are looking at about 40 hp increase, which i thought was a bit much.. he gave a long explanation on why the company he is referencing from in Germany to get the upgrade , can deliver such high figures..
proof is in the pudding , will see if there is a dyno there when i drop off the car

**Kleenman headers and high flow cat with ECU up grade...
my car sounds beastly already with my custom made exhaust lets see what this can do

car should be back on Saturday morning:grin:

·
94,100 Posts
25 hp for headers
25 hp for ecu tune

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
heheheheheeheheh NO ONE DRIVES my car , but we can see if you can keep up @ Kirky hehehh , hope u r well

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
still waiting to get few thing sorted with the exhaust and the tune , so far yes a noticeable difference , just wanting to get the small issues sorted and get my car tuned.. some hold up with parts from Germany for the ECU ... either way not happy with customer service atm , will wait till final product is together before i lay judgement on the company..

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so i just got my car back from the tune place .. OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we have continued on with the large diameter stainless steel piping and rather than run a X pipe, they have fitted a Magnaflow twin resonator / muffler where the X pipe should be then they fitted 2 smaller magna flow mufflers at he end ... all stainless steel and all large diameter piping...

the sound is like deep and throaty , hard to explain but like a lamborghini when you crank it up

HP definitely better but they have held back on the tuning as a vibration has come from the engine and seems my harmonic balancer is starting to go .. so a new one has been ordered and in ten days time go back to complete the tune and more than likely on a dyno ...

road test it and crank it off from the lights and all of a sudden tyres are breaking some traction and getting into a small fish tall, snap the next 2 gears into 3rd and still breaking traction .. so yes i am so very happy ,, once we get more HP out from this , i am definitely going to be impressed.. i will get the details but they are boasting anything up to 45 - 60 hp increase over stock with their mods.. i am only expecting 25 , but the way this has taken off today , wowowowowowowowowowow is all i can say ..
will get some pics onceit is back up on the hoist to show the neat installation.. so very professional and impressive to say the least ..
oh and inside the car very quiet as compared to my old system and NO DRONE at all ..

·
94,100 Posts
I knew you would love it!
Does it sound like the first vid in my thread?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah but deeper sound , not sure if it is because of the stainless tubing or the way they have set up the mufflers .. for a 6 cylinder, i am taken back by the note.. i thought it sounded good before , as i had custom set up before .. but this is , soooooo different .. low RPM you can hear the individual cylinders then when you crank it , seriously howls .
hearing your car sound s like i am at a race track , hearing your V8 scream past .. My 6 seriously is like a lambo , that crisp motorbike type note.. i ahve heard other exhaust before , but this is different.. will drive for a few days then try and get the sound recorder , or you tube clip put up ..

thanks for your help Jbanks ,, great choice in set up

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
FINALLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
so my harmonic balancer nearly came un done during the first ECU tune..... so fitted a FEBI unit which has a solid centre and weighs nearly 1 kg heavier and ....................

we started to crank up the HP with the ECU tune, few mods , lost of road tests and in the end we scaled back the tune so i can keep the engine together.

Increase in HP ??? no idea as the last few stages we road tested the vehicle to ensure that it was drivable and not flat spots ... BUT what i can tell you is that i will be needing new tyres as when i launch it hard , if i have an un even surface , the first 3 gears i am frying my tyres. BUT if i get it to hook up BOOM !!!!

we have set the gear change to be at 7500 exactly and with the new Headers and compete flow through stainless system , the engine gets to the shift point so quick..
so i am a very happy chappy , for a 3.5 litre 6 to be this responsive and drivable i am more than impressed

thank you jbanks15 for the recommendation in my exhaust ..

i think i have come to my final modification .. 2 1/2 years later and ohhhh so many $$$$ spent but certainly worth it ... this is an amazing forum as with everyone's post and input, i have my questions answered and created my car

will get some pics up soon from the underneath of the car to show the exhaust

1 - 16 of 16 Posts