Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought my car a few months ago and this week I had the interior repainted. Before that I updated the technology because after all is a 1998 car.; added GPS/Bluetooth and a Back-up Camera. I bought a second set of rims and put on brand new summer tires. Today I am having the exterior buffed, waxed and 3 stage color correction(what ever that means). I am putting up before pictures and when they are done (which should be 8 hours) I will put up after pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing the results. My brother in law has his own valeting business and, I have seen some impressive transformation from colour correction and professional detailing. I'm sure you will be well impressed with the results.

The dark paintwork will come up looking like a mirror :grin:

I can't wait to clay bar mine to remove 8 years of contamination and then build up some layers with Auto Glym high definition wax.

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
From the pictures I don't think you'll see a huge benefit from paint correction. Only the light scratches on the rear wing will polish out. That alone is probably worth the money on such a nice car. If you look at the depth of reflection in the pictures the car has good paint with very little swirling.

Anything chipped through to the undercoat (white chips visible or scuffed) will need either a smart repair and painted conventionally or the bottom of the chip painted then filled with clearcoat, denibbed flat then polished to match the surrounding paintwork.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing the results. My brother in law has his own valeting business and, I have seen some impressive transformation from colour correction and professional detailing. I'm sure you will be well impressed with the results.

The dark paintwork will come up looking like a mirror :grin:

I can't wait to clay bar mine to remove 8 years of contamination and then build up some layers with Auto Glym high definition wax.
Try one of those clay bar mitts that fit over your hand.
Much easier to use and lots faster.

Reactions: Pres

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Finished buff/wax/colour correction

Got the car late last night. It took longer than they thought it would. Although I didn't capture it in the before pictures there were alot of swirl marks on the roof, front hood and the trunk. The color correction got rid of them. I think they did a fantastic job. Another member,
wja96, was right about the stone chips. They are not helped by the color correction or buffing/waxing and you do notice them more now after the
rest of the car looks so good. I went ahead and ordered a paint pen for the outside along with the primer pen and clear coat pen so I can hopefully do a little touch up to the hood. As far as the white spots in the before post they are gone. Looks like it was paint from other cars (18 years of parking lots?). As far as the scratch above the wheel well it did go down passed the cars paint. The scratch is is still visible but better . You actually have to go up close and know where to look. Anyway as promised here are the after pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hard to tell the difference between before and after. Your before's are all close-ups and your afters are all full body shots. Can you posts some close-up afters? Plus, approx how much did they charge?

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hard to tell the difference between before and after. Your before's are all close-ups and your afters are all full body shots. Can you posts some close-up afters? Plus, approx how much did they charge?

Thanks,
Rob
The final total was $550. Expensive yes but they took 9 hours to do it. I don't think I could have come close to what they were able to accomplish. As far as the pictures go I had to rely on two different people using their cell phones to take them for me. The pictures aren't perfect side by side before and after shots, but then again , they don't have to be perfect for purposes of a post. You get the general idea (major improvement).

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK280
249 Posts
The after pictures look really good! I've never heard of "color correction" before, did you take this to a body shop or a detailer?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
373 Posts
i've had my car's pain corrected before, yes it does cost a decent amount, but most of the time, you get what you pay for. paint correction is the process of using very minor-ly abrasive wax compounds to remove microns of your clear coat to remove the swirls and imperfections in the clear coat. after the pain has been corrected, a thick layer of high quality wax is applied to fill in the removed layer. it does worlds of difference on an older vehicle that hasnt been taken care of paint wise. in terms of the number of steps, that refers to the number of different polishing compounds used, the more the better, as they can slowly use a more abrasive compound to determine what the correct level of abrasiveness that needs to be used in various spots on the car, costs more and takes more time, but well worth it

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
I had mine compounded and buffed out a few weeks ago, and it came out beautiful and is smooth as glass. So smooth that it seems nothing sticks to it.
Came back from a 100+ mile trip and not a speck of dust or road dirt stuck to the car. It's amazing.

Reactions: lovemyslk
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.