Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to see if I can make it to a nearby fuel/petrol station by watching the range: xx miles on the MFD (Multi-Function Display), after the "Reserve Fuel" warning came up.

Apparently, the icon below shows up in the upper MFD display when one gets to less than 30 miles (or was it 25 miles) on the range calculator. I smiled when it had the R171 as its graphic art. I wonder if the icon will change to red if the range is less than 10 miles.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,819 Posts
Try it Doc!

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Too risky and the result may be expensive: DansSLK has warned in the past not to get to the point where air may be introduced into the fuel delivery system from an empty fuel tank.

This would be similar to getting "air embolism" in one's circulatory system, e.g., the "bends" as what most deep sea diving personnel would say.

Reactions: jbanks15

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
1,274 Posts
I haven't seen it either, and we once ran Sunhilde down below zero--literally coasted the last few miles into Susanville, CA in neutral. The fill-up was 17.914 gallons for an 18 gallon tank.

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
37,774 Posts
Too risky and the result may be expensive: DansSLK has warned in the past not to get to the point where air may be introduced into the fuel delivery system from an empty fuel tank.

This would be similar to getting "air embolism" in one's circulatory system, e.g., the "bends" as what most deep sea diving personnel would say.

Thought 55s liked bends?:wink:

Or is it more like British Rail? The wrong kind of 'bends'.>:D

Running fuel low can also bring sediment from the tank into the fuel system.
Sediment isn't just rust. Bits get in whilst fueling, fuel oxidises all in minute amounts, but it's there.

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
I've seen a similar one on mine, but a different image (I think mines just a fuel pump with a hose) - I'll snap a shot of it when it next pops up

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've seen a similar one on mine, but a different image (I think mines just a fuel pump with a hose) - I'll snap a shot of it when it next pops up
That's the Reserve Fuel warning (Range: less than 50 miles but more than 30 miles IIRC), that icon shows up before the current posted image.

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Besides, 55s handle much better with more than 50% fuel on board.
I will try to have at least 50% (1/2) fuel on board from now on for "performance" reasons :grin:>:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.