Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All - first off, thanks to everyone for all of the great information on this site.

The wife and I found out at the first of the year that we are expecting our first little one - quite excited about that. However, the first realization was that the SLK was not going to cut it as a baby carrier. We tried every way to figure out how to keep it as a 3rd vehicle, but we just didn't want to have 2 car payments.

So, we traded it in this weekend on a 2010 Hemi-fied Grand Cherokee. Sure is nice to have a V8 again!! She will drive the new one for awhile until my 2001 X5 with 185K miles on it croaks, then I get the Jeep and she will get something else, hopefully a 4-seater vert.

Good luck to you all - the SLK is an incredible vehicle and it was really hard to see her go!!

P.S. I have an OE rear wind deflector that I will be putting up for sale soon - took it out of the car before trading it in. Wanted to give the local crowd first dibs. Anyone interested pls PM me - not sure on a price yet, but it is in great shape and includes the plexiglass deflector, two roll bar brackets, and storage case.

Take care!!
Bill

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,628 Posts
Congrats on the new addition (baby)!

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Congratulations on the new child to the family. Do keep in touch even though you may not have the SLK. Still family.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Bill,

Congrats on the soon to be new arrival!!!!:tu: I'll take the wind deflector off you, just send me a PM. Make sure you keep in touch w/ the site.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone - I will definitely stay in touch!!

David - hope you enjoy the windscreen!!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Congrats Bill. Don't worry about the car. They made more and you can always get another one. I've gone through it a few times and between kids, finances, room for it, etc.. there's always another one down the road.
If your wind deflector would fit a r170.. I'd be on it. Maybe I should buy it, and then I'd have to get a SLK350 to put it on. :usa:

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:)Congratulations on the new addition to the family and new vehicle. How did you do on the SLK trade? Curious, what is was worth as a trade. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Thanks everyone - I will definitely stay in touch!!

David - hope you enjoy the windscreen!!
Good to see you again Bill, the windscreen looks great and definitely cuts down on wind noise. Eija and I were joking that the 55 has become SLKWorld's recycling bin since we now have Randy's smart top module, Don's Bremma alloys, and now your OEM windscreen!!:tu: Who says my 55 isn't a GREEN car!!:biglaugh:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:)Congratulations on the new addition to the family and new vehicle. How did you do on the SLK trade? Curious, what is was worth as a trade. Good luck.
We got $14,500 on the trade-in. Ours was a daily driver, so it had 73K miles on it, which we were told was high for the typical 5 yr old Merc. Regardless, we were saved the hassle of trying to sell it ourselves and saved on the amount of sales tax we had to pay.

We did not depart from the brand totally - the GC does share the same platform as the ML!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good to see you again Bill, the windscreen looks great and definitely cuts down on wind noise. Eija and I were joking that the 55 has become SLKWorld's recycling bin since we now have Randy's smart top module, Don's Bremma alloys, and now your OEM windscreen!!:tu: Who says my 55 isn't a GREEN car!!:biglaugh:
:biglaugh: Awesome!!

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Congratulations, its an awesome experience, with many highs and lots and lots of hard work!

In my case it was "get a baby, keep the SLK". We got the SLK Aug 07 as consolation for no kids, then my daughter was born 14 months later! oops!

First thing we did was to find a buggy/stroller that would fit in the SLK boot! Being so small means its a bit light and flimsy so we got a bigger more robust 3 wheeler for going out on longer walks in our sensible saloon.

We have the sensible saloon for my wife's daily commute and the supermarket. So we use that when there are 3 of us. However, the SLK is still used a lot when there are just two (or one) of us in a car.

Of course it depends on personal circumstances, but I do childcare one day a week, and my wife works some weekends. So that's when the SLK is used. Also, my wife likes to use the SLK to assert her independence when she goes out on her own because is NOT her commuting or family car.

Admittedly I only take my daughter out in the SLK on short local runs, no more than 30 mph and roof up at all times. It seems safer to have her in a 4 door SAAB for the motorway and long distances.

Finally, my daughter gets so excited when she realises she's going in the SLK. She loves having the central console in front of her, being able to sit next to the driver and have eye contact, she'll glance up to look at you when your stopped at the lights and let out a lovely giggle... *more sentimental syrup edited out for good taste* :)

·
Registered
726 Posts
My daughter is going to be a petrol head when she grows up, She's 8 now and when we go out with the roof down and the V6 growls she just looks across and smiles.

Anyway good luck SLKDawg, hope everything works out for you.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I knew you'd have a reply to that, just took awhile!:) OK, so I should have said "enviromentaly friendly" car!R)

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Congratulations!! We had to get rid of our TR7 when our first daughter came along and after our youngest finished Uni and moved away to Yorkshire, we got a 2-seater again. Our SLK :)

I hope that by the time you're in a position to once again have a 2-seater roadster you are a) still interested in driving one and b) there is something out there worth having.. Maybe an R179?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts