Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand the ECU wants to see 160-170 degrees farenheight. That being the case a 170 degree stat should work in most of the country. However I have seen next to nothing about using them to keep heat soak down and iat's low which would allow for more timing and of course more HP. I am looking for one now. Does anyone use a lower than the stock 188.6 degree fare height unit.(degrees Celsius x 9/5+32= temperature in farenheight, the easy to check is 100C=212F, the boiling points, works for me anyways) On my Cobra a 170 degree stat was the common mod, can't remember the name but it was also a high flow stat. Now on a fall day I could keep temps in the 170-180 degree range but under some load temps over 200 were not unseen. I can only imagine the temps my SLK may see. Timing pulled! Keep the temps at least under 190 under any condition and there will be more power. I recently ordered a NeedsWings dual intake with the filters that mount in front of the radiator and I am not concerned with flooding the motor with water. I have ran ram air intakes on many cars without issue. Well how about the T-stat and it's location. It seems to be slightly behind an idler pulley for the serpentine belt, that correct? If anyone has done this change what brand did you use and any noticeable changes, good or bad? THX, Mark

1 - 1 of 1 Posts