i think we might have said it was 'snake oil'

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,000 Posts

·
Registered 2001 SLK230
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I searched the forum for it before I posted but GF Performance didn't show in the titles.

Looks like a few mpg improvement was all that was mentioned. I would have been happy with just a few extra horses, plus the gas mileage, but I think I'll pass.

I saw Kleeman chips mentioned. Any other known good ones? I'm not looking for huge horsepower mods. I think before long, my exhaust headers will need replacing (I replaced them once at about 60K miles and I have about 105K miles on it now - they're stamped steel that corrodes through and not cast iron. A chip combined with some better headers and an improved air filter might be worth investigating.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,000 Posts

·
Registered 2001 SLK230
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha jbanks15. I didn't want to flog it much. A few hp and a few mpg. I wouldn't want to do anything too drastic to the engine, as it's a stout little engine and will (knock on wood) last a long time. It runs as good today at 105K miles as it did when it was new. Most performance upgrades are pretty expensive. Since my headers will probably only last another 15K miles, and I was just kind of thinking out loud here about doing a better air filter. I saw the ad for that GF chip, and it's cheap price perked my interest. But it's like you get what you pay for with those I guess.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Amazing throttle response .Was very pleased since it does not add any horsepower.Yet you feel like the car has been chipped .5 minute install .Never had a problem at all .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts