Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased land without a water source? I'd be interested in hearing what you did for the build water and energy wise. Please feel free to PM me or send me an email, I need ideas.

Shelearns at yahoo.

Thanks ;)

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
A LOOONG time ago I lived in a house that basically had no water. The well delivered less than 2 gallons per minute.

Water had to be TRUCKED in. Not too expensive, but this was back in the late seventies in Colorado.

I would not recommend a piece of property with NO water. It can only get expensive or worse.

That was my experience.

Reactions: slk320chick

·
Banned for no reason !!!
305 Posts
Purchased land without a water source? I'd be interested in hearing what you did for the build water and energy wise. Please feel free to PM me or send me an email, I need ideas.

Shelearns at yahoo.

Thanks ;)
All my homes have had mains water , but i know a few here in the sticks so to speak, just have a big water tank and they buy water ,get it filled every few months.

so easy enough to do i should think ..

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The slk real estate guru [coughsmkcoughs] advised me.. I do not think I will be going anywhere near land that does not have utility availability. It's just not worth it. I'm in my early 40's but im trying to plan the dream home somewhere it's cheap and I need at least 2 acres of land.

My focus has shifted lol.. ;) Ty for all responses.

·
Hopeless *** owner
102 Posts
If you was able to purchase the land cheap enough then you could hire a drilling company to drill a new well. Of course as long as the covenants allow drilling on that small of acreage.

I know in this area it has to be 40 acres minimum in order to drill a new well.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I build 2 years ago a house in Queensland without town water. It collects the rain water from the roof and has a 10000 Gallon underground tank. So far no problems. But it has power...
Cheers Walter

·
Fanatical Member-sold-->2010 SLK300
3,419 Posts
I live in a home right now that has no city water. It does however and city gas and electric. I live in a coastal mountain region where we have a well. I can't quite remember the particulars but I want to say that it is really deep, like 1500 feet down and the water tastes like spring water, but very hard. Obviously, the deeper the well, the cleaner the water as the soils and earth act as filters to cleanse it.

I will check the particulars when I'm at home but I think it produces in excess of 25 gpm which is plenty. There are homes with wells that exist with only 5gpm's. Your requirements are really dictated by how many people live in the home and what the usage will be. In my case, a 4 bedroom, 5 bath home, plus lots of landscape that requires irrigation.

We are required by the city to have a 10,000 gallon storage tank which supplies a fire hydrant in front of the house. So really, no difference than living in an area with city utilities, you would never know the difference. In addition, we are on our own septic so no city sewer either. Because the well pump works on electricity, I have installed a whole house generator just in case of a power outage. (we learned the hard way about a month after we moved into the home and lost power for 5 days. When that happened we lost the well. Not fun and never again, the generator was installed the following month) and I have been waiting for the power to go out since but it hasn't happened in well over a year :D. So, the home is totally self sufficient.

I would think that when you make an offer on a piece of land and during your due dillegence period, it would be very easy to contact a local well company with knowledge of the water tables in the area. In your area where you get plenty of annual rain fall each year, I would think that finding water just about everywhere would be no big deal. Then just make sure that you have a water sample analyized for containmenants and E.Coli. Providing everythings clean you are home free!

As far as trucking water in...........there are a few people in my area that do just that. It is fairly reasonable but I sure wouldn't want the hassles.

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was originally looking at a 40 acre parcel in nevada but it was truly in the middle of nowhere. After many days of research I decided to settle on something more realistic. I want to be able to build my own home in a few years. Land prices will be up much higher than they are now. So I'm thinking ahead.

·
Fanatical Member-sold-->2010 SLK300
3,419 Posts
I was originally looking at a 40 acre parcel in nevada but it was truly in the middle of nowhere. After many days of research I decided to settle on something more realistic. I want to be able to build my own home in a few years. Land prices will be up much higher than they are now. So I'm thinking ahead.
There is plenty of water in Nevada. Just because it looks like desert, don't think it goes without. Wifey's grand parents lived in a god forsaking place called Silver Springs about 30 miles east of Carson City which sits at the base of the Tahoe National Forest. They moved there to retire and get away from all city civilization (which they did...hence rednecks). In Silver Springs, everyone is on a well. Even though it's desert, there is water underground from the Sierra Nevada mountain range. Where in Nevada were you looking?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts