Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for an AMG M113 engine, but the M112 and M111 use the same crankshaft position sensor so this question is for everyone. The issue I'm having is the car will only occasionally start. it will turn over but no firing. I replaced the sensor with a known good one and had the same no start issues. Now one time I was fiddling around down there and it started, and that's when I learned that I can get it to start by having someone turn the key while I fiddle with the connector on the CPS. It's either the connector, or the wires going to it.

my next step is to take the entire shielded wire (up to the ECU) from my donor harness and swap it.

but I'm wondering if anyone else has had any issues like this?

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,658 Posts
Nope. I've been involved with2 CPS failures but replacing the sensor itself fixed the problem instantly both times. That having been said a bad connector would be just as terminal. The CS is not an intelligent sensor, it is a hall effect device that outputs an analog signal to the ECU where the signal is squared up and interpreted.

I've used one as the sensor on an anchor winch chain counter! :)

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,048 Posts
Changed many but use genuine parts as using pattern components usually fail after a while .
As said there simple devices .

Once gone fault occurs more and more but once cooled off can start back up but fails later on again internal electrics break down again ......

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.