Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The K40 relay burned in my 2002 SLK32 and the ENTIRE car smells like complete ****. The insurance is turning it into a salvage vehicle. It's a 148K miles car and trying to just swap the interior to get rid of the smell feels like a waste of life. So I decided to do something crazy with it. I already got it running and fixed all the wiring. I did take it to a detailing shop, but long story short is that the entire interior has to either go or be completely refinished (including the back side of the panels).

So I was wondering if anyone has done anything crazy inside the SLK? I've seen double din mods, basic refinishing, custom leather stitching, but that's about it.

I'm thinking of something completely odd, like this wooden center console with good cupholders. Maybe moving the hand brake to the passenger footwell. Also thinking of swapping all the buttons to something mechanical like they do in a Spyker c8, here is a review: https://youtu.be/NKin_i1pcFA?t=586
Another thing is to try to fit an S or E class seats with massage and ventilation functions.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
Haven't done things like that myself, but how about a three seater? Like the Matra Bagheera from the 70's? Give it some StarTrek dash and the steering for the middle seat... should look ..different..

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,451 Posts
That would be interesting, but definitely a tight fit inside an SLK. I would almost consider making it a single seater instead. That would be a ton of room for cupholders and cargo :)
Then you'd have room to hook up a mini fridge using the cig lighter socket :wink:

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,105 Posts
Bay area? Got to be a whole host of customised there?

Check out the custom scene and go to a meet or two.
Great source of inspiration.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The K40 relay burned in my 2002 SLK32 and the ENTIRE car smells like complete ****. The insurance is turning it into a salvage vehicle. It's a 148K miles car and trying to just swap the interior to get rid of the smell feels like a waste of life. So I decided to do something crazy with it. I already got it running and fixed all the wiring. I did take it to a detailing shop, but long story short is that the entire interior has to either go or be completely refinished (including the back side of the panels).

So I was wondering if anyone has done anything crazy inside the SLK? I've seen double din mods, basic refinishing, custom leather stitching, but that's about it.

I'm thinking of something completely odd, like this wooden center console with good cupholders. Maybe moving the hand brake to the passenger footwell. Also thinking of swapping all the buttons to something mechanical like they do in a Spyker c8, here is a review: https://youtu.be/NKin_i1pcFA?t=586
Another thing is to try to fit an S or E class seats with massage and ventilation functions.

What do you guys think?

I like the way you think ...cool

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,584 Posts
While the C8 looks sorta cool now, you can see already in that car with all the aluminum that the finish is starting to oxidize, you would be buying aluminum polish paste by the crate and all free time would be devoted to shining up the aluminum.

The ONLY way I would do an interior like that would be if it were all machine polished and then clear coat sealed immediately before being touched by any fingers.

In a few more years, the inside of that car and all the aluminum finishes will be non shiny and badly oxidized. There is a REASON why motorcycle builders PAINT the aluminum cases on bikes, I have a lot of "polished" aluminum on my Harley, I will not even think of riding it if there is a 1% chance of rain.

·
Registered
156 Posts
In progress now ..

G'Day everyone

I have just dropped my car off to be "butchered" in a way I want to do . Always have done something different .. This time it is my slk 230 . why dont i just but a newer one ?
the cost of this car right now (1998 SLK ) is selling for anywhere from $.. 32,000.00 to 36,000.00 as Thailand has a 300% tax on imported cars cars .
So , i have brought a lot of new parts from Germany . It is going to have major work done on it from change color (taking engine out) and a 2017 GTR grill, and front spoiler . flare fenders , , rear end work , different lights , new wheels ,plus a lot of other work in the interior.The interior will be pull out and a whole new one made, it will be style on the 2017 c class and the 2017 e class interior . I will change the colour to AMG Green Hell Magno, I like green as my car now was green with red interior. It will take about 5 months to complete. Exciting time for me , oh , my wife picked the colour ...

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320
1,032 Posts

I'm thinking of something completely odd, like this wooden center console with good cupholders. Maybe moving the hand brake to the passenger footwell. Also thinking of swapping all the buttons to something mechanical like they do in a Spyker c8,

What do you guys think?

Here’s one idea

The SLK R170 lends itself to having a cockpit dividing bar fitted.

Front mount.
Remove cointray/cupholder. Bar has toungue that slides deep into this slot.
Rear mount,
bar has lip that rests on seatback panel, and secures using the coat hook screw locations.
Bar is about 4” by 2” and curved to be wider front and rear ends.
Covered in padded leather.
Made from foam with a wrap of fibreglass under leather cover.

If your car is to be a single seater, the passenger side can then be fitted with a painted fibreglass tonneau cover like the 1950s LeMans race cars.
Tonneau secures to the dividing bar and on the door side remove the dash end cover and use its two mounts. A rear screw location will be required.
Outer side does not secure to door, but has lip that snugly sits over top of door trim.

Go for broke and also remove passenger side rollbar for a Monoposto look.

Add some neat luggage restraint system where the passenger seat was using seat anchors as mounts.

Re centre console, could leave as is, but add extra console to the left under the divider and tonneau, swung 45 degrees to face driver, containing double Din stereo/Nav display and other guages.

With passenger rollbar and seat removed surfboard mounts can be added to top off tonneau an using old passenger roll bar location. Or bike mount.

As an alternative, modify passenger headrest mounting clips so that headrest easily slides all the way out. Leave seat and rollbar, but now car reverts to a two seater in a minute with passenger tonneau plate going into the boot under the blind and car retains all its nornal funtionality but looks like a showcar.

·
Founding Member
337 Posts
Old pictures but you get the idea. The silver dashboard was sanded down smooth and color matched to the wheels. The carbon fiber was hand done. The long door handles are also silver with carbon fiber around the lever you use to open the door.

There are better pictures in my garage on this site. It's been a while since I posted. Didn't even know the site was still running wow.

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Old pictures but you get the idea. The silver dashboard was sanded down smooth and color matched to the wheels. The carbon fiber was hand done. The long door handles are also silver with carbon fiber around the lever you use to open the door.

There are better pictures in my garage on this site. It's been a while since I posted. Didn't even know the site was still running wow.

Great to read stories like this. Thanks mate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts