Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1998 SLK has for quite a while had a small engine vibration. I’ve changed the plugs, coils, MAF fir other reasons but it still vibrates. Not too bad but not as expected. I’ll change the injectors, never done that begore and car is already 20 years old. Should I change the harmonic balancer? Anyone had experience with that? Thanks for the help.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,344 Posts
You don't mention changing your engine motor mounts and/or the trans mount

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, yes, I have changed them. Helped alot but still some vibration is evident. Car is 20 years old so I asume any rubber part will eventually have to be changed. Doing it little at a time to try and avoid a break down.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
2,328 Posts
My 1998 SLK has for quite a while had a small engine vibration. I’ve changed the plugs, coils, MAF fir other reasons but it still vibrates. Not too bad but not as expected. I’ll change the injectors, never done that begore and car is already 20 years old. Should I change the harmonic balancer? Anyone had experience with that? Thanks for the help.
The rubber ring around the balance damper can deteriorate. When it does it can allow the outside balance ring to rotate around the center part of the damper. This is what would cause the balance damper to create a vibration.

If you have access to a known good damper (friendly MB dealer?) you can measure the distance around the circumference from the key way to the top dead center timing mark or any other consistent reference point and then compare that to the measurement of your damper. If yours is the same measure then it is not the cause of your vibration. You should be able to measure your damper without actually removing it, but you may need to remove the center bolt to be able to see the key way. The bolt is torqued at 222 ft lbs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.