Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
*Registered
2007 SLK280
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
Ive been installed an after-market multi media unit from Real Media, HL8801. Look and works very good, but one problem.

When I play some music and a bit louder it sounds like the speakers are broken, a cracking sound. It sounds as it comes from both mid range speakers in the left/ right door.
The speakers are not broken, Ive been open up both doors and been inspecting visual the speakers and no remarks, and It was not this problem with orginal unit.

It feels that is some kind of compability problem, can It have something to do with Ohm or voltage out, and what can be done

The unit is HL8801 from Real media

Thank you!

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
859 Posts
The speakers are not broken, Ive been open up both doors and been inspecting visual the speakers and no remarks, and It was not this problem with orginal unit.
Just because you can't SEE that there's a problem with the speakers don't mean there isn't.. The paper they're made of must be "just right". Not to soft (moisture problem?) and not to hard (sun drying?) for the sound to go through correctly.

On a 2007, fourteen years old, there's bound to be one or the other, maybe both. Unless you're an expert in speaker elements, it'll be next to impossible to find out for sure. Besides, the originals aren't that good anyway, so replacing them might not be a bad thing, just for the sake of it.

·
**Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,857 Posts
Need to know more about your system to comment but if you’re running the HK speakers off the head unit amp it could be clipping. Those speakers need driving by a decent amp that handle a 2ohm load.

·
*Registered
2007 SLK280
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Need to know more about your system to comment but if you’re running the HK speakers off the head unit amp it could be clipping. Those speakers need driving by a decent amp that handle a 2ohm load.
Thank you for answer. I have only been changed the head unit, all other is original. The speakers should be driving by the head amp unit, since this is orginal.

Shouldnt the head amp unit handle the HK speakers? I guess it should since it all is orginal?

The subwoofers in the door sounds fine when I increase the volume.

This unit is installed:

·
**Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,857 Posts
Thank you for answer. I have only been changed the head unit, all other is original. The speakers should be driving by the head amp unit, since this is orginal.

Shouldnt the head amp unit handle the HK speakers? I guess it should since it all is orginal?

The subwoofers in the door sounds fine when I increase the volume.

This unit is installed:

Ok, so you new radio/head unit is connected to the MOST fibre optic ring in the car and the Harman Kardon Amplifier which is in the passenger footwell is still driving your speakers? If so then it’s not clipping as I had suggested. I thought maybe you had replaced the HK amp with your new head unit. The noise you described does sound like clipping though! If the noise is new it would suggest it’s related to the new unit. Did you install the unit yourself?

·
*Registered
2007 SLK280
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so you new radio/head unit is connected to the MOST fibre optic ring in the car and the Harman Kardon Amplifier which is in the passenger footwell is still driving your speakers? If so then it’s not clipping as I had suggested. I thought maybe you had replaced the HK amp with your new head unit. The noise you described does sound like clipping though! If the noise is new it would suggest it’s related to the new unit. Did you install the unit yourself?

Yes you are correct, its connected to the MOST optic ring.
The unit went installed just before I bought the car and I imported it from Gearmany, I also sent an email to the shop and the reseller but so far no answer or any idea what it can be.

Since its just coming when I play a bit louder and only from the midrange its a bit strange, If I play on the volume when the it starts to crack, it comes with the base beat, then if I play exactly when it starts to sound bad, it comes in a song when its a lot of beats, and if I increase the volume 1-2 click more, then this cracking sounds comes in every base beat, same kind of sound as a cracked speaker. But it comes in both left and right speakers at same time, and as I feel its not from the base but the midrange next to the base speaker.

·
*Registered
2007 SLK280
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just because you can't SEE that there's a problem with the speakers don't mean there isn't.. The paper they're made of must be "just right". Not to soft (moisture problem?) and not to hard (sun drying?) for the sound to go through correctly.

On a 2007, fourteen years old, there's bound to be one or the other, maybe both. Unless you're an expert in speaker elements, it'll be next to impossible to find out for sure. Besides, the originals aren't that good anyway, so replacing them might not be a bad thing, just for the sake of it.
Thank you for replay.
Yes It could be as you tell, I just found it a bit strange that both side would fail and give exactly the same sound when its cracking. It sounds more like the sounds comes from the speakers than the sound made by a broken speaker.

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
859 Posts
I just found it a bit strange that both side would fail and give exactly the same sound when its cracking.
Yeah, that is one heck of an coincidence! I don't believe in those, so..

What else could it be.. ? Cabling issues? Maybe interference?

But maybe a dumb question, but are you ABSOLUTELY (!!) sure that the speakers are still driven by the original amp!? The reason I ask is that when I looked at my setup, when I changed my HU for a cheap(er) Chinese one, the (car) wiring loom in the center console contained speaker wires. I don't have an external amp, so I used those..

Thing is, these HU come with so many different looms (the only thing that's car/model specific is the front facia!), if the wrong one was choosen, it might have been one that uses the HU as amp.. ?

·
*Registered
2007 SLK280
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, that is one heck of an coincidence! I don't believe in those, so..

What else could it be.. ? Cabling issues? Maybe interference?

But maybe a dumb question, but are you ABSOLUTELY (!!) sure that the speakers are still driven by the original amp!? The reason I ask is that when I looked at my setup, when I changed my HU for a cheap(er) Chinese one, the (car) wiring loom in the center console contained speaker wires. I don't have an external amp, so I used those..

Thing is, these HU come with so many different looms (the only thing that's car/model specific is the front facia!), if the wrong one was choosen, it might have been one that uses the HU as amp.. ?

Thank you for ideas. Im not 100% sure, I will nearest days open up and take a look again behind the HU to make sure.

I will also send pictures to Real Media where the HU is bought. It was alr in the car when I bought the car.

I was most thinking that If the speakers would be driven by the HU, why would it only be the midrange that are having the sound, I thought that maybe Subwoofer would be the ones that the HU can not drive, but lets see how its connected.

Thanx

·
*Registered
2007 SLK350
17 Posts
I had a similar issue after replacing my head unit with a Android one. My driver door mid/bass started sounding like it was blown (HK system also). Guess I cranked the bass too much. Lol.

The problem was the voice coil got out of alignment. If you push on the cone part without music playing, does it make a bit of a scratching noise? Make sure and check all around the cone.
Mine only had the scratching on one side. Like it shifted.
I looked at replacing them but the HK mid/subs have the magnets Infront of the cone, not behind it and they are very thin.
I fixed mine by carefully prying apart the front and back sides of the outside frame. The magnet came off with the "inside of the car" side and the cone stayed with the back or "outside" frame
I used e6000 glue to attach the 2 sides back together, but before clamping them together I did the "push the cone" test again all the way around to make sure the coil was not rubbing on the magnet, then clamped it.
There is a proper way to do it using a paper shim but then you need to cut out and replace the dust cap. Search on YouTube for reconning a speaker for that process. This was easy enough and fixed the problem.
Hope that helps!!

Bryan

·
*Registered
2006 SLK55 AMG
16 Posts
When I inquired about the HL8801 unit with Realmedia they said that this cable
Fiber optic cable to NTG2.5 plug adapter for Mercedes Benz SLK W171 R171 APS50
was required for the installation (SLK55AMG). I am guessing that it runs from the head unit to the audio gateway (SLK55 it is located under passenger side floor, others may be in trunk - that is why the cable is 3 meters long)? It would make use of the original amplifier, not just bypass it and use the head unit amp. I have been trying to find a unit that would take advantage of all of the original installed equipment, amp, speakers.... and keep the fiber optic loop intact for years. Seicane also sells a unit that looks exactly like the HL8801 but be cautious dealing with them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts