Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's a beautiful day (20C and sunny) and I've got some running around to do. I take the cover off my SLK in the garage. Fire it up and away I go.

I went to drop off some floor mats I sold. Ended up shootin' the breeze with the guy about my car for about an hour....

S'all good.

Then I decide I need to go down to the county office to get some land maps. It's about a 80km drive.....

S'all good.

Then I have to make it home to pick my daughter up and take her in to meet my wife for Pilates classes. Another 50 or 60 KM drive.

S'all good.

Then I decide to pop over to a friends place for a BBQ. Awesome steaks! and the weather is still great! :)

Then I decide I need to use the little boys room. While I'm in there I look in the mirror........

MY FACE IS BEAT RED! My nose makes Rudolph look tame.

I just now realized I have been out in the sun ALL DAY. It's now 11:38pm and the top of my head is starting to hurt.

Why didn't anyone tell me I needed to wear sunscreen while driving a convertible??? :)

Can anyone else share their lessons learned the first time they owned a convertible? :)

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:)Reminds me of our first long distance top down trip when we first got my wife's SLK 350. It was a warn sunny day. I didn't realize how hot it gets even on the interstate with the top down. Hot is hot, and uncomfortable.

·
Premium 2006 SLK55 AMG (Kleemann K2)
10,723 Posts
I drive in 50 C weather, honestly its like being in a sauna when wearing shorts my legs stick to the leather due to the humidity.

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts
From past experience, I've found the best time to drop the top is NOT mid-day, but in the mornings and evenings. I think I actually have it down more in the winter than the summer. The summers here can be hot as hell...

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
I have to wear a baseball cap if I'm driving in the sun with the top down..
x2, I have two baseball caps in the SLK, one behind each seat just in case it's really sunny.

but sounds like the OP had a great time :rockon:

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
:biglaugh:After many years in the military, I no longer do hats.
I don't exactly have a full head of hair :biglaugh: and have fair skin and freckles. So I would burn quite badly if I had a full day with the top down in bright sunshine and no hat..

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Ahhh the memories. Phoenix to San Diego in July. 120 degrees through Palm Desert. Top down. Even with hats and shades, arms are beet red. Legs not much better. We learned.

We keep hats in the car, too.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I got quite burnt last year shortly after moving to California and purchasing my SLK. I drove a convertible when I lived in Canada and for some reason didn't think SoCal would burn me any faster... boy was I wrong.

I now try and keep a hat, a light jacket and some sunscreen in the trunk. Sunscreen + leather doesn't go good together but this is more so for my face as that's what tends to burn the most.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
So my SA threw in two really nice MB/Rolex baseball caps that stay in the car all the time. The wife is very fair skinned, so we also keep some of the new coppertone "dry" spray on 50spf in the car for long days.

We just got back from 3 glorious days in Perdido Key, FL - amazing weather, but we where in the folks Rangie not the SLK.

·
Registered
561 Posts
yup..i learnt my lesson recently. My forehead and right side almost got burnt (was red) cause of the sun. Now i have a baseball cap in the car at all times.

·
Registered
986 Posts
2 words. Sweaty back.
That does it, surely there must be a way to intercept the airscarf CAN signal to tell it to switch the heater elements off, then at the same time have some diverter vanes made that redirect the air down your shirt..

Seriously, how many people would be interested in that?

That has to be one for the SLK store surely?

·
Registered
914 Posts
That does it, surely there must be a way to intercept the airscarf CAN signal to tell it to switch the heater elements off, then at the same time have some diverter vanes made that redirect the air down your shirt..

Seriously, how many people would be interested in that?

That has to be one for the SLK store surely?
A cold airscarf is a brilliant idea, as long as the driver and passenger are seperate, coz there is no way my gf would tollerate cold air, you know how women are??????????:biglaugh:

·
Registered
986 Posts
If its done properly on the can bus, then left and right would have their own controls.

you could simply do a fast double click for cold air, and have the button illuminate the first and third lights to distinguish it from full power.

·
Registered
82 Posts
YEARS ago, my first convertible was black with black leather interior. I attended a summer BBQ on a very hot day, wearing shorts, and that afternoon jumped into my "top down" ride. I must have launched 30' into the air and landed with two very red burns on the back on my thighs. :( Lesson learned. Now I either put the top up when I park or cover the seats with two towels that I keep just for that purpose.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.