Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NICOLE PELLETIERE,Good Morning America

A maid of honor carried a bride's beloved dog down the aisle this month when the pup was too weak to meet her and the groom at the end.

"Both of us just dropped to our knees and started crying," bride Kelly O'Connell of Denver, Colorado, told ABC News today of her dog, Charlie. "To see him be carried a few feet, it kind of solidified for me that it's not the Charlie he liked to be. He was aging, and it hit me knowing that he lost a lot."

She added: “He was a very sweet dog. He loved everybody, but I was definitely his person."

Charlie Bear, a 15-year old black lab, was adopted by O'Connell in 2002 when she was 19 years old and living in New York.

In April of this year, Charlie was diagnosed with a brain tumor, but O'Connell, now 33, said it was important to her and her now-husband James Garvin, both veterinarians, for their dog to attend their wedding.

Photographer and family friend Jen Dziuvenis captured the touching moment of O'Connell's maid of honor and sister, Katie Lloyd, carrying Charlie down the aisle when he couldn't make it on his own.

“I was like, ‘I have to keep shooting even though I’m in a puddle of tears behind the camera,’” Dziuvenis of Boulder, Colorado, told ABC News. "It was a story."

Sadly on Sept. 9, Charlie succumbed to his illness and died -- just days after the nuptials.

Dziuvenis shared the photos of Charlie she snapped at the wedding onto Facebook, where they received over 16,000 shares.

"It makes me so happy because I know they're having that connection with their dog," O'Connell said of the attention to her wedding photos. "It reminds us we wouldn't be feeling this much pain if [our pets] didn't give us so much joy."

O’Connell said she plans on having the photos of Charlie blown up and displayed in her home.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry. my eyes are leaking now
We love them so much

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
6,679 Posts
Sorry. my eyes are leaking now
We love them so much
Jeff I know what you mean, Charlie the Labrador looks a lovely dog. Over the years, 2 of my beloved Golden Retrievers have succumbed to cancer despite the best efforts of our veterinarian. It is heart breaking as they really are a member of the family with bags of personality. I couldn't resist but here is a picture of my Retrievers Jack and Max who are alive and well playing tug of war in our back garden.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
My sweet Rotty, I miss you honey. Tears now...

I have more respect for canines than some people I have known.

Mersea111, sweet pic. I had to look twice as I only counted four legs. Twice the fun, half the mess! Laughter now...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts