Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a SLK 230 with 49,000 mature weekend female miles on it .
The car was garaged and was a second car it's entire life.Well maintained via the dealer .
I do not plan to track the car but would like a tighter ride and more wheel feedback.The car is total oem with Michlien sport pilots 17".
I would be grateful for some advise and where to buy.
To answer the first question i have used the search button now i am asking for some support .

·
Registered
62 Posts
What is your budget? There are a few options:

1-Upgrade to Michelin Super Sports if the vehicle will not be driven in the snow/rain

2-Something like H&R springs/shocks OR H&R springs/Bilstein shocks (Available at Tirerack.com)

3- Option 2, with upgraded tires using a lower profile tire like option 1 in a 225/35/17 size

It all depends on a few things... are you into looks? do you just want better handling? Budget? etc etc

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and thanks.Very happy with the current look of the car.Will replacing oem shocks with Bilsteins make a noticeable difference?Which model Bilsteins ?I live in NY dropped my S2000 which was great for the track but not NY.My tires are new the former owner got them just a week before i bought it .This car will not see the track just need to tighten it up a bit .

·
Registered
55 Posts
handleing

I have a 1999, same as your 2000. First off you do not have a rear anti-swaybar. The 2001 or 02 models started coming with one ( not a direct bolt in option for you), I did pick up the bar and I'm planning some modifications for install ( welding will be required). The later 01-02 also redesigned the front swaybar, probably only to accomodate the V6 motor. I will most likely get the redesigned bar to put in, it does not look like it will require any mod. My car had 16" wheels, I put on 17" with 245-45-17. The car rode like CR-P!! Note I'm in NY, so I got a nicer set of Benz 16's and I actually run higher sidewall tires for a smoother ride, 205-60-16 Ft, 245-50-16 R.

My opinion, If you want to save $$$ and you have 16" on the car now, & the roads near you are smooth go to 17's and call it a day.

Save even more money, if your car has Michelin tires (most Benz do), change them out for a set of firmer sidewal tires like Hankook or Continental. Michelin tires are nicknamed Mush-elin, because they are soo soft.

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230 Over 100,000 miles!!!
2,093 Posts
Tirerack.com
Discounttire.com

I just put Goodyear Eagles on last week. Discount tire ordered them from Goodyear and put them on the next day.

I've put over 100,000 on my SLK. I've had Mich Pilots, Nexen n3000, that I loved the best but the side walls cracked on all 4 tires, :td:, so I went back to Pilots, then Goodyear Eagles Z rated. Have stayed with them. They seem to grip really well for me.

I think if you ask 10 guys, you will get 10 different opinions.:biglaugh:

Best of luck to you.

SLKman:tu:

·
Registered
130 Posts
i'm new to the SLK world, but I've done lots of suspension modifications and tuning over the years.

Many people get hung up on reducing body sway when they start modifying a suspension. Body sway means nothing, for almost all production cars, sports cars to a much lesser extent, taking out the understeer is the key. This is best done by adding or stiffening the rear sway bar, or the addition of stiffer rear springs. The sway bar has always been the best choice for me. On these cars, body sway is pretty much a non issue anyway, unlike larger sedans.

Hope this helps.
Doc

·
Registered
130 Posts
Put in a stiffer REAR sway bar. It will take out some understeer and make the car noticably more pleasant to handle in moderate to hard cornering.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.