Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I went to a dozen local stores looking for hand sanitizers a couple weeks ago and not a single shop had one on their shelves. Decided to order from Amazon. Guess what, it will take 55 days to arrive (March 03 - Apr 20). I had no choice than to place the order. Just hoping I am alive by the time it arrives in my home.

What are your experience with hand sanitizers in the COVID-19 era?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,911 Posts
make your own

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,911 Posts

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,445 Posts
Any drug store carries 99%. Just ask "behind the counter" as the lower % is the only one on the self-serve shelves.

·
Registered 2012 SLK250
252 Posts
None available here. Hasn't been available since the beginning of the panic buying. I already had enough on hand to hold out for a fair while, but will make my own if the time comes. 100% Aloe Vera gel mixed with 95% alcohol in a 1:3 ratio. Note that is 95% not 95 proof. Common household alcohol is 70% alcohol and is not sufficient when mixed with the Aloe Vera. The only liquor that I am aware of that would suffice is 189 or 190 proof Everclear. The alcohol content of the sanitizer must be in excess of 60% alcohol to be effective and preferably 63%.

·
Registered 2012 SLK250
252 Posts
Any drug store carries 99%. Just ask "behind the counter" as the lower % is the only one on the self-serve shelves.
Just be careful with 95% or 99% alcohol...it is toxic on the skin and can cause burns. Use gloves and caution when handling it. And definitely keep it away from any high heat source. It is highly flammable and you can't see the flames.

·
12,445 Posts
Oh yeah, I use it in my model airplane building. Good stuff (y).

But as said, it may not be available either due to panic buying.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,092 Posts
None available.
Running the olds to Docs etc, plus stores and nada of any kind.

Mr. Sheen does add a nice gloss to your nails though.
Welders gloves just scared the mortals.

·
12,445 Posts

·
Registered 2012 SLK250
252 Posts
I can't vouch for the validity of the premise...it seems plausible, but that premise is based on the use of alcohol that has not been diluted further than the 70%-99%. It is one thing to swab an area on your shoulder for an injection and another altogether to use 99% alcohol on large areas of your skin repeatedly throughout the day.

Hand sanitizer is always diluted with something (e.g. aloe vera) to keep your skin from drying out excessively...which also addresses the fast drying downside of alcohol mentioned in the article. The important point relative to the use of alcohol as a component of hand sanitizers is that the end result contain at least 63% alcohol. That cannot be achieved when starting out with 70% alcohol. The preservative effect of the water in 70% alcohol may, or may not be addressed with the addition of aloe vera to 99% alcohol, though consumer-available aloe vera will have preservatives in it...even if advertised as 100% aloe vera.

·
12,445 Posts
AH, a home distillery 😁 but shouldn't those transfer pipes be coiled to aid in condensation formation :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member 2011 SLK200
540 Posts
AH, a home distillery 😁 but shouldn't those transfer pipes be coiled to aid in condensation formation :rolleyes:
I guess the length of the pipe and the material will fix the job, otherwise you obviously have constructive input 😁 Should I become unlucky, I might also ask @Avel Du 😀

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
483 Posts
While I don't quite share George Carlin's views regarding germs (Google it, if you wish. As with vitrually all his stuff, it's NSFW or kids), I'm far from a germophobe. I've never used hand sanitizer and don't plan to start now.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I tried producing my own sanitiser, but all I got was quality whisky.
What use is that?
No use whatsoever, Myk... since I am still waiting to receive the hand sanitizer ordered from Amazon, I can sure use the no-good quality whisky ehm.. sanitizer... you have distilled. It will help me bridge the wait for the "real" sanitizer... thank you very much.

·
12,445 Posts
No use whatsoever, Myk... since I am still waiting to receive the hand sanitizer ordered from Amazon, I can sure use the no-good quality whisky ehm.. sanitizer... you have distilled. It will help me bridge the wait for the "real" sanitizer... thank you very much.
Read that amaz deliveries (even for prime) are being delayed , sometimes up to 3-4 weeks. Get some 151 rum and that should do the trick--75% alcohol 😉

Everclear is too high a % though.

·
Premium member 2003 SLK320
95 Posts
I like much of the humor in some of these post's and am appalled at some of the non-medical, non-chemical, non-clinical information that are in some of the other post's.

You should wash your hands anytime that you have that option, it is actually better than using hand sanitizer, 20 seconds not only helps to get rid of bacteria/viruses it also removes any dirt/crud that might hide or harbor microbes.

If you don't have the capability of washing your hands, hand sanitizer is the next best thing and if commercial sanitizer is not available ALCOHOL at 60-63% is usable as a substitute. If you are in the public arena, which most of us are not at this moment, anytime you touch something that someone else could have contaminated (door knobs, shopping baskets, flush handles, etc.) or where someone coughed or sneezed and you might have particles contaminate you, wash your hands or use sanitizer.

If you choose not to wash or sanitize your hands, and your wife, daughter, son dies from Covid-19 consider that you might have had something to do with their death.

The effect of water percentage in alcohol is much deeper than the LINK in post #9, I think that I had at least 3 hours of lecture on that topic in Pharmacy School and 4 hours of Pharmaceutical lab on the subject. Water is an amazing chemical, alcohol is an amazing chemical, mix them together in different ratio's and you can do much more than you would think possible. Look at any chemical and it has a dissolve in alcohol and dissolve in water amount. But sometimes mix the two together and change amounts by small percentages and the chemical properties change. The ability to pass thru membranes, to coagulate proteins, to shorten or lengthen the contact time, changes with the alcohol/water percentage. Viruses are harder to kill than most bacteria so if you make your own make sure you understand the correct method to get the 60-63% alcohol content.

You can take 70% alcohol add Aloe Vera and come up with 63% alcohol, it just might not be as thick or feel as soft as the commercial product, the commercial product has other ingredients for thickness and hand feel. The other drawback for most home made pharmaceuticals is that you have to know how MUCH of the CORRECT products to use, I have looked at a number of different recipes on-line and would not recommend any of them to use. Te first one to come up in Google, Wired.com mentioned in post #2 is horrible, it recommends 99% alcohol, which you are no longer going to find in any drugstore (in front of or behind the counter) and uses 1/4 cup Aloe Vera and 3/4 cup alcohol, which gives you a 74% alcohol content not 60-63%. The others I looked at are as bad, it appears that no reputable source is recommending a recipe, most of the sources are social/internet and not reliable.

I hesitate to recommend a recipe or tell you how to do it in this post. If you were in my pharmacy, I would find out what ingredients were available and tell you how to make it. Almost all products that I am ordering are being allocated on a day to day basis. Today I might get a bottle of 70% alcohol and tomorrow I might get a bottle of 99% alcohol and I might get nothing, but if you had a bottle of EverClear at home we could figure out a way to make hand Sanitizer, but we wouldn't want to use the whole bottle for that purpose.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts