Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, now that I've joined the ranks of SLK owners, can anyone enlighten me about where the idea that it's a hairdressers car come from?

Cheers
Gromit

"You've got to be lucky sometimes"

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,316 Posts

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hairdressers on Google

Well I could always do Google but I was hoping for some comment from SLKers.

I'm sure most of it is borne out of pure jealously. I certainly can't see how anyone could consider an SLK55 AMG as a trivial casual toy even if it is a convertible.
The Google search showed that the Mini one convertible is 33% more likely to be owned by hairdressers than other professions, so clearly there is a leaning towards convertibles, strange really as a "cheap" convertible with the top down is more likely to leave ones hair looking like you've been dragged through a hedge backwards than any other type of car! Not true of the SLK I've just bought. I couldn't believe how pleasant it was to drive with the top down. Mercedes have clearly done some incredible work on the aerodynamics of the SLK.
Frankly I don't care what others think of or call my SLK, I love it already and will enjoy it in spite of their jealousy0:)

Cheers
Gromit

·
96,316 Posts
Reason I gave the search result is that we already have enuff threads on the subject and trying to avoid 1 more. Members comments are in all those search threads and posts. :D

·
Registered
285 Posts
My hairdresser drives a dirty great big Jaguar. Suppose that makes them hairdresser cars too ;-)

I can't cut a piece of paper straight and, have had a few comments about my cars being hairdresser motors. The comments have been made towards both my previously owned Audi TT and, the SLK and, from the same select few people.

Personally I don't give two hoots what anyone else thinks. I will drive what I like and, even those that made the hairdresser comment also said the SLK is a very nice looking car. Not yet found anyone that hasn't liked the car.....

·
96,316 Posts
They apparently have not seen the Beast pictures in my albums :D

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't care either!

Hi Pres,

My thoughts exactly. It's a great car and everyone acknowledges that and would love one even if they won't admit that.

jbanks15,
I'm sure the issue has been done to death here, so I won't prolong this discussion, although there are new people joining the ranks every hour it would seem and they may welcome some fresh discussion. Anyone that's seen it all before is under no obligation to contribute:smile:

Cheers
Gromit

·
96,316 Posts

·
Registered 2016 SLC43
303 Posts
It's an urban myth usually uttered by morons who listen to the likes of top gear and similar and then go and buy a bmw or porsche on the strength of part time racing driver .
It makes no difference how fast your car is around the nurburgring in the hands of a professional driver when your sat in a traffic queue in the Mersey tunnel on your way to work , your better off sat in a comfortable car that your happy with .
Buy a car to suit yourself and your life style , not some overpaid tv presenters !

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Haters gonna hate. I've always heard that the Mazda Miata was for gay men (it's mentioned here and there in movies and the like). It didn't stop me from owning two of them. I personally don't give two squirts of _____ what anyone thinks of me except my God, my spouse, and my boss, in that order.

·
Vendor
3,782 Posts
Haters gonna hate. I've always heard that the Mazda Miata was for gay men (it's mentioned here and there in movies and the like). It didn't stop me from owning two of them. I personally don't give two squirts of _____ what anyone thinks of me except my God, my spouse, and my boss, in that order.
This^^^. People say nasty stuff out of jealousy. A very unfortunate part of human nature.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I used to have a TVR, surely the most macho of sports cars.

The current editor of the club magazine drives the ultimate road going TVR, a Sagaris. She's a woman. When I was the editor I had a column written by a woman - entitled Women's Bits - and she drove a Tuscan, a car that is not so much in your face as down your throat. There was nothing macho about her.

I'm not sure I'm all that bothered by the hairdresser aspect. Indeed, I don't think Merc were either. You only have to think of the implications of the Airscarf to realise that another bit of accepted wisdom is that Germans don't have a sense of humour.

·
Registered
726 Posts
A few years back me and a number of UK members went on a tour around Yorkshire (sheep chase) and we went through this small village. In the village was a pub with a large number of bikers stood outside. As we drove past heard one say "[email protected]%* me its an hairdressers convention". Still chuckle now :smile:.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Of course it's a hairdresser's car - mine has one.
Mind you, he also has tattoos from head to toe, various piercings and is built like a brick privy!
And no, I never complain about my haircut! >:D

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Love it

I promised I wouldn't prolong this discussion but it seems anything but a stale subject. There are some great replies here that I may use in future ( as long as the engines running and its in gear?

Cheers
Gromit

1 - 20 of 51 Posts