Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been following (and worrying about) network-connected vehicle development for several years. Six years ago an article in IEEE Spectrum reported that an "S-class Mercedes-Benz required over 20 million lines of code" and "contained nearly as many ECUs as the new Airbus A380 (excluding the plane’s in-flight entertainment system)." The author noted that cars will soon "require 200 million to 300 million lines of software code."

With the head-long rush (Mercedes included) towards assisted and self-driving cars, future car-to-car communication, car to public network connections, etc., all these systems are very vulnerable.

Saw yet another article about this topic today and passing it along as food for thought.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/07/22/car-hacking-just-got-real-hackers-disable-suv-on-busy-highway/

·
Super Moderator
24,207 Posts
There was an item about it on TV today.

Although it can be done I wonder if it will be possible to target more than one at a time (worrying as just one is, statistically I suspect were a long way off from that).

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
The only thing you can do is not have auto breaking !
Self parking assist
Self start
Self locking via an app !
Self auto ............

So glad i need a key to get in mine .

God mine sound so basic now :wink:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts