Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I’m quite well into my SLK journey and delighted with her every day. One thing (first world problem) is the noise. Having gone for an x pipe (res delete) and 2ndary cats removed - she is wonderfully loud and burbly.

However - I can’t help but wish she had a deeper, muscle car tone that I could achieve with a H pipe connecting the previous Cat locations. I’d loose the exotic V8 noise but gain deep American Muscle. I know it’s all personal preference - was hoping someone here has done it!

P.s. I understand the X pipe is better for exhaust scavenging, I know I will sacrifice that. My other half has got the Miltech system for his Audi S5 - H pipe at the 2ndary cat delete and it’s a deeeeep noise. I’m probably jealous and I shouldn’t be jealous of an Audi when I have such a superb SLK 🙃

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,532 Posts
Pop into an exhuast place and get the X flanged and get them to do a H also flanged at the same size and length.
You can remove and replace each type at your leisure.
Failing that, you may want to remove the internals in the rear silencers?
Beware of droooone....

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,532 Posts
Thinking out loud....a cheaper option maybe remove the X and have no crossover at all?

Although the AMG may rev a bit more than an American V8?

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s a good shout but I definitely want to balance the cyclinder banks than just have it straight through. Didn’t consider max rev differences though. The c63 seems happy enough with a H pipe and sounds deep.

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
11,936 Posts
However - I can’t help but wish she had a deeper, muscle car tone that I could achieve with a H pipe connecting the previous Cat locations. I’d loose the exotic V8 noise but gain deep American Muscle. I know it’s all personal preference - was hoping someone here has done it!
I know exactly what you mean. Like this (at the 1.00 mark)

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
211 Posts
Interesting question. If I look at the exhaust systems of e.g. a C3 or C4 corvette, which are my reference for an American muscle car then I don’t see a X or H.

Maybe the difference is also in the firing order of the R113 engine compared to the Corvette’s engine

Attachments

·
11,936 Posts
Ya know @Larasmall, if you go that route, you need to fix your horn too. Not as bad as Japanese/Korean horns but ours could use an upgrade

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,438 Posts
I had an R171 with the same mod you currently have. I also have a similar mod on my R172.

I have also heard a straight piped R172 which is a very deep tone!

I’ve often wondered what an H-pipe would sound like too!

Thinking about it just now, how’s about an H-pipe with a variable butterfly valve in the cross piece so you can play with the balance and effectively have straight through pipes when you feel the urge! :grin:

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Merc55 - nice thought but I know I can’t chase timing - it’s more of the throb and resonance that you’d get with straight pipes and a h crossover than that of a merged Xpipe. I still love the fact that AMG make their engines sound so raw! 😀

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
H Pipe is a no go!

Team! I bring grave yet good news in the end.

Because I live minutes away from Infinity Exhausts in Bristol, I popped down to get an H Pipe fitted. It took about an hour and half but the moment I started her up I knew something was wrong - it was really fluttery and almost whistled - the two banks were not equalising well and it had no depth of note at all - the character of the car had gone.

I immediately asked for my X pipe to be re fitted and the team kindly sorted it out for me for no extra charge (amazing!). Now she's back to growly exotic glory and I'm happy with that.

Summary of the story - do not H pipe an SLK55!

Attachments

·
11,936 Posts
Team! I bring grave yet good news in the end.

Summary of the story - do not H pipe an SLK55!
I must ask the obvious: are you/they sure it was done correctly?? They must have given you some explanation as to why it didn't work.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts