Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i was looking for some guidance on my impending mods. I want to put a speer pulley upgrade kit on. I also want to port my SC and port & polish my head,install afternarket performance headers and port match the headers to the head. Can anyone tell or guide me on everything i need to consider or parts i need to upfrade to make this work well? As an afterthought doing the porting work and aftermarket headers affect the remap chip that comes with the pulley upgrade kit? Any input will be gratefully received.

·
Registered 2016 SLC43
309 Posts
If you search the subject on the forum you'll find the answers in greater detail , but a short version is
I installed the crank over pulley alone and it makes a big difference to torque and low down grunt . I had sacha download the new map to my 2002 230 whilst I was in Germany and it smooths out the power delivery a lot and gives a better top end .
After that I put on a bigger intercooler , no discernible difference , and butchered a cone filter onto the inlet side and fed it with as much cold air as I could and also fashioned a heat shield to protect it from engine compartment heat , this seemed to make a small difference to performance and a lot more intake noise .
I thought about an exhaust manifold but the e bay ones your probably looking at are poorly designed in my opinion. As for porting and polishing you'll be lucky to realise another 10bhp on top of the pulley and map and it'll cost you .
Personally if I did it again I'd go pulley , map and free flowing air intake , and a better exhaust system . If you want any more out of the car get rid of some weight with seats etc and some suspension upgrades .
Good luck

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
2,092 Posts
Personally if I did it again I'd go pulley , map and free flowing air intake , and a better exhaust system . If you want any more out of the car get rid of some weight with seats etc and some suspension upgrades .
Good luck
I think Paul has got it spot on there ^

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Magic guys thanks a bunch! Just as an afterthought while im planning all my power enhancing mods would it be more prudent to have a custom remap once everything i want to do is done? That way by adding something post remap it would throw the remap out? Just educating myself thanks guys

Jon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts