Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just paid $400 2 months ago to have my front bumper repaired and repainted from the previous owner's scuffs and curb encounters. I don't know where or when but I've already got what appears to be one parking curb or driveway encounter. It scuffed up the bottom left and right sides under the fog lights and the center. I looked closely and magically all the scrapes end and nearly identical points, thus pointing to one occurrence. Damn! I'm super careful to leave about 2 feet between the front end and any parking bumpers. WTH? Does anyone besides Jeff (jbanks) not have any scuffs on their bumper? :biglaugh: What's your secret?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I'm sure it's a greater challenge with a SLK 55 than a 350 like mine, with yours being beautifully lower.

I do try to take my car only places I know and if I can avoid a steep entrance, I do. Like you, I also park way back from parking curbs.

Sounds like you're doing what you can. It's a challenge. When you do find yourself going out one of those bad driveways or in one, of course, I try to go as sideways as possible, when space/other traffic permits.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Well I've been in some pretty compromising positions with my car.

For steep speed bumps and dips and driveways, you go in "straight" but just before you get the dip or bump you turn your wheels to the left or right and the moment your first wheel hits, you turn the other way so you're going one wheel at a time and then repeat the process in the opposite direction. I've managed to avoid some bad situations this way.

Also when it comes to smaller speed bumps (sleeping policeman). I just go over very slowly, almost rolling.

:)

That's the way to do it!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,101 Posts
Oh i have them alright but out of sight, out of mind. seriously, i ran over a concrete tire stop and wound up pushing it 2 feet. left some nasties, but they r so far underneath, no one can see em.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips guys! I totally forgot about the bloody speed bumps. That could have been the culprit. I'm almost positive I didn't hit a parking curb. Wife's pretty good about it too after I cautioned her about how low the front end it.

Twisted, you turn the wheel as you first go over the speed bump or as your coming down the other side or both?

:)Jeff, I was joking of course, but I figured anyone that shines his car twice a day would surely have a perfect bumper.

Reactions: AZ SLK and jbanks15

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've only had my '06 280 for a month and my wife and I have both gone over parking space curbs.... more than once. :mad: The bumper is getting shredded. We've never had a car with such a low clearance and the dealership didn't warn us. I'm not reparing it until we're both accustomed to parking carefully.

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts
If you do go over something, don't back up until you've inspected it...

I pulled over a concrete parking stop, and luckily looked before I backed out, as the bumper had ridden over an exposed stump of iron rebar sticking up from the curb. Had I backed up, I bet I would have pulled my bumper off. I bought a magazine from the adjacent store, and managed to slip it between the bar and the bumper to slide back over it with almost no damage (except the original scrape, of course).

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You know, if Parktronic wanted to be really useful they'd put sensors underneath for this and make it a standard feature. They could flash a huge warning onto your windshield via HUD saying "Warning Idiot, you're about to shred your bumper" :biglaugh: I wish they used color matched primer on the whole vehicle and plastic parts were matched and colored all the way through. The other alternative would be to have designated "low clearance vehicles only" parking curbs :)

All great tips!

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
I feel your pain Brian - my 350 is in dire need of a new bumper - I pulled it off, and did what I felt was a damned good repair (hit a piece of truck retread at 70), only to runto more road debris about 2 months later and undo all the good I did.

I'm waiting on a new bumper cover - prolly try and get it sorted before the 'vegas cruise, but I'm sure that's asking for trouble!

FYI - parktronics is useless for curbs - I'd love to fit a low sonic sensor in the center of my '55's bumper.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FYI - parktronics is useless for curbs - I'd love to fit a low sonic sensor in the center of my '55's bumper.
Well they need to add them or make a power lifting bumper option!:tu:

·
Registered
405 Posts
I totally feel your pain. :(

I managed to do that last week. First scuff on my 55 :(

I thought I had lots of room, but it turns out there was a second cement barrier I didn't see when I was pulling in..... "sccccccrape".

The thing that made it really bad was there was a guy in a jeep right beside me. I knew he heard it because he looked over. He managed to hold in any reaction though.

So now the question is....to repair... or just leave it be?

I think I'm going to go buy a new one and save it until this one falls off.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm so glad that I'm not alone in bumper scraping. Anybody know what a new bumper costs? Installed and painted? I am wondering if it is worth my while to replace or live with shred. It's really not that bad looking unless you have your head on the ground.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm so glad that I'm not alone in bumper scraping. Anybody know what a new bumper costs? Installed and painted? I am wondering if it is worth my while to replace or live with shred. It's really not that bad looking unless you have your head on the ground.
I was quoted about $800 for a new bumper cover, plus paint at my local body shop. That's why I opted for repair (was cracked in a couple places) and repaint this time around. If I can get another couple years out of it that would be good.

A good tip to those shopping for a used SLK--you want that bumper to be scuffed. If it's perfect, be suspicious and ask questions!

Reactions: Reidmart1

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you do go over something, don't back up until you've inspected it...

I pulled over a concrete parking stop, and luckily looked before I backed out, as the bumper had ridden over an exposed stump of iron rebar sticking up from the curb. Had I backed up, I bet I would have pulled my bumper off. I bought a magazine from the adjacent store, and managed to slip it between the bar and the bumper to slide back over it with almost no damage (except the original scrape, of course).
Thanks for the tip. I'm keeping two old car magazines in my trunk from now on just in case I over-parked.

If you shift to reverse and the car does not slowly roll back (without gas), then some part of your bumper is stuck. Check before you gas it and risk damaging the front bumper.

This is what happened today. I parked the car too close to the concrete stop. I checked it by sticking my hand between the concrete and the front bumper before I backed up. It seemed ok. No iron bar sticking up. When I shifted into park, the car would not move (no gas). I guess some part of the bumper was stuck. I slightly gas it and I heard a loud pop. Luckily the bumper is still attached and no visible crack.

·
Hopeless *** owner
102 Posts
UK-C200 said:
I'd love to fit a low sonic sensor in the center of my '55's bumper.
Or a fairly low voltage trigger that would shock the crap out of ya when your getting close. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

The previous owner of mine ran into a parking block. I have since repaired and repainted it though. I have my fingers crossed that nothing happens again.....Of course the streets and roads in this area are horrible so it could sure happen. :tazz:

·
Shibing the Web Guy
235 Posts
I hit mine on the curb the other day.

Didn't see it when I was backing up, then I heard the sudden drop, I felt it can't be good.

$450 for repair the crack and repaint the whole bumper. I'm debating too.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.