Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As promised and because I have received so many inquiries, I am working on a 2nd Round Group Buy for the Sport Fenders that Durkatlon, AMG9999, mick86 and myself have now received and installed on our cars. Dominique from Xclusive Car Concepts will be in California at the end of next week and we will be getting together to work out the final details.

At this point I am simply looking for a list of members that are interested in participating in this Group Buy event!

Again, these fenders are fabricated from original OEM Mercedes Benz metal fenders, so the fit is 100% perfect! They ARE NOT a fiber glass body kit item that will require excessive tweaking to make them look good.

I am confident that all the original purchasers will vow to the quality of the finished product. The fenders will come primed and ready for paint AND include metal grates as well as the R172 Windshield Washer Bottle with all tubing, wiring and connections along with instructions on how to perform the Washer Bottle modification.

Different from the first go around, all fenders bound for the U.S. will be shipped to my company's distribution center. In this way, I can handle all international shipping, receiving and customs issues along with those related charges. These final charges will be tallied, revealed and equally split between all purchasers. For budgeting purposes, I am estimating that they will amount to approximately $300.00 US per buyer. In turn, I will re-ship the fenders to each purchaser FOB my warehouse in Fremont, California. Shipping, import and customs charges were probably the most frustrating part of Group Buy #1. My direct participation will eliminate all those hassles and will most likely be much more cost effective.

Any forum member outside of the USA is encouraged and welcome to participate and will receive the special Group Buy price. All Global purchases will be "included" in the Group Buy total needed to receive the discounted price that has been negotiated. However, those shipments outside the U.S. will be made directly from Xclusive Car Concepts in Spain. So, depending on where you are in the world, the freight expenses could be even more favorable.

Based on a commitment of six (6) sets of fenders, I have been successful in negotiating a Group Buy price of $2,575.00 (1.980,00 €) which is $225.00 (293,00 €) less then we all paid the first time around!

Again, for now simply post your name to start a list if you are interested in this great modification.

Steve

·
Banned
62 Posts
1.) billvp

I also suggest posting in the old thread that there is a new thread ... so that those who subscribed to the old thread wanting updates will see that the group buy is here again :bannana:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Could the previous members that bought share a little bit of the experience they had? I know AMG9999 has already posted his, and I did read the original thread and it seemed like there were a lot of delay's and issues with install.

The second time around you would assume would be better, just curious

If the customer service was the same for everyone?

Aprox cost range to install once delivered, maybe time is a better gauge? ( I do understand it depends on who you know, etc)

The fit does say OEM perfect, is this really the case, or did everyone have gaps' bulging?

Thanks

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SlickSLK300,

Please return to the original thread and read my response. I have addressed Cuongs comments in depth.

Yes, there were frustrations with regard to lead time, but much of that was probably self-imposed. With regard to fitment, as I understand it from the body shop that I used to do my work, these parts are made of sheet metal and therefore have adjustments that are necessary no mater what. The parts themselves do not receive their "rigidity" until they are fully mounted. Alignment and gap adjustments are necessary no matter what and a competent body shop is trained to do just that. Certainly, these fenders are much less work to install than a similar part made of fiberglass. I am no expert, this is just what I have learned from my own experience.

Although lengthy, I believe if you review the first thread in it's entirety, you will see the positive results from the other three members that participated in the Group Buy #1.

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1.) billvp
2.) Klinh
Gentlemen, welcome aboard!

To Klinh:

You may have already checked out some local shops to finish the install once it arrives, but having Durk close to you with his shop that has done the install already, you may want to have them finish your car off as well. This is going to look GREAT on your Palladium Silver car, which will be a first! No doubt, the result will be absolutely stunning and should FINISH it off nicely!

I might also suggest driving up north here and using my body shop who is also well qualified to not only do the install, but also the washer reservoir modification. My shop tends to be a little slow, but because you are out of the area they might rush yours to the top. Because of my recommendation, they may also give you a great price to do the work. Sometimes as a referral, they will offer the referring customer discounts on MB standard service. But since I still have a service agreement with Mercedes Benz and continue to use the dealer for all regular service until that agreement expires, I would tell them to pass my perk on to you to reduce the price. So, the price of a cheap round trip ticket on Southwest may be in order if you want to take your car on a road trip and back to have your work done. :hb:

To Billvp:

Bill, I see from the Data Card that you too have a Brite Silver exterior. I can't wait to see how this mod. looks on that color as well.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Stinger,

Thank you for the offer. Very much appreciated but I already got a shop pick out to do this mods. If this group buy does not go through, I'm still gonna have the shop to do the mods. I sure hope we can find 6 people but it alot to asked for the 2nd group buy.

·
Premium Member
3,047 Posts
Certainly, these fenders are much less work to install than a similar part made of fiberglass.
Depends on the quality of the fiberglass part. Many quality kits are made that are literally ready for paint and ready to bolt-on (though not most). An ill-fitting sheet metal part can require a lot more work to install than an ill-fitting fiberglass part.

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Depends on the quality of the fiberglass part. Many quality kits are made that are literally ready for paint and ready to bolt-on (though not most). An ill-fitting sheet metal part can require a lot more work to install than an ill-fitting fiberglass part.
I suppose that you are right because I have heard that parts from tuners like Piecha fit well when parts from tuners like Duraflex can be a royal PIA for the body shops.

But, I have also heard from these professionals that over time, with the effects of sun and movement, fiberglass can "move" and doesn't compare to the quality of an OEM metal fender. I have heard this from more than one professional, that you can never beat the quality of a "hand made" metal kit vs. fiberglass.

·
Premium Member
3,047 Posts
I suppose that you are right because I have heard that parts from tuners like Piecha fit well when parts from tuners like Duraflex can be a royal PIA for the body shops.

But, I have also heard from these professionals that over time, with the effects of sun and movement, fiberglass can "move" and doesn't compare to the quality of an OEM metal fender. I have heard this from more than one professional, that you can never beat the quality of a "hand made" metal kit vs. fiberglass.
Duraflex type products are one of the WORST. They can be made to look great upon installation, but give it a little time and they'll start drooping.

On the other hand, Epoxy resin heat-cured fiberglass pieces are just as likely to deform as the OEM bumpers...which is to say not likely at all (otherwise Corvette wouldn't stick with composites after their early fiascos).

'Hand made' metal kits are the best, but that's if they are made well, which means heat treating/curing, metal filler such as lead (which isn't legal in the US anymore), repeated machine rolling, etcetera...things that are NOT going to happen at this price point. Think old school $250,000 hot rods. Most 'metal kits' aren't properly heat treated and include some degree of body filler/gap filler on the surface and around the seams.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Honestly, I was all in for this and still would be if my car wasnt black. I just think the mod kind of disappears on a black car. Still looks good, but I dont know if its $4k-5k good after all said and done

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,883 Posts

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Of course you have to make your own decision, but I think the photographs on a black car don't do the modification justice. I actually believe in real life it is much more prominent than the photos show.

FWIW, I am trying to get Dominique to offer a fender "fin" made of brushed aluminium similar to those that we have on our bonnets. If this fin would continue the crease line of the that is already present and extend inward into the sport fender vent, it would add an additional dimension that would really show off the modification, especially on the dark color cars.

I am hoping that Durk and/or mick will chime in on this one. But I know for a fact that Durk's car gets comments from on lookers on a daily basis as THEY do notice the modification. Durk has already stated that if he had to do this all over again he would have gone the same route. Regardless of vehicle color, this is a stunning modification that breaks up the large amount of space between the door and the rear of the wheel well.

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Honestly, I was all in for this and still would be if my car wasnt black. I just think the mod kind of disappears on a black car. Still looks good, but I dont know if its $4k-5k good after all said and done
Tiremarx723, just out of curiosity, are you the member that sent me pics. of your beautiful SLK with the "stick on" fender vents parked in front of a really nice mansion? If so, you have a beautiful car. I know that we exchanged a couple of emails regarding the bonnet with vents as well. I am just trying to remember who you are as I have received so many inquiries about this modification.

Thank you,
Steve

·
Registered
57 Posts
Tiremarx723, just out of curiosity, are you the member that sent me pics. of your beautiful SLK with the "stick on" fender vents parked in front of a really nice mansion? If so, you have a beautiful car. I know that we exchanged a couple of emails regarding the bonnet with vents as well. I am just trying to remember who you are as I have received so many inquiries about this modification.

Thank you,
Steve
Yea that was me. Stick on's are gone thank god haha. Maybe disappear wasn't the right word, sorry if that came off the wrong way. I guess what I was trying to say is that my initial reaction to the colored car vs black car just made me think that it looked more defined on a colored car vs black car. I think the only reason I thought this was because there wasnt as much contrast in color when I saw it the first time. For example on Stingers car it goes from white to black to white. Not all black. I still think it looks great, and I'm willng to bet it does even more so in person. Keep in mind Im sitting behind a computer screen, not able to see these in person as well. Thanks for the addtional pic post above, I hadn't seen all of the recent pictures so that was helpful. I would be curious to see how it would look if the screen was painted silver to match the hood bonnets as well (Not sure how that would turn out).

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea that was me. Stick on's are gone thank god haha. Maybe disappear wasn't the right word, sorry if that came off the wrong way. I guess what I was trying to say is that my initial reaction to the colored car vs black car just made me think that it looked more defined on a colored car vs black car. I think the only reason I thought this was because there wasnt as much contrast in color when I saw it the first time. For example on Stingers car it goes from white to black to white. Not all black. I still think it looks great, and I'm willng to bet it does even more so in person. Keep in mind Im sitting behind a computer screen, not able to see these in person as well. Thanks for the addtional pic post above, I hadn't seen all of the recent pictures so that was helpful. I would be curious to see how it would look if the screen was painted silver to match the hood bonnets as well (Not sure how that would turn out).
In actuality, the screens come in silver so you can have the option of painting them any color you want. They are made of aluminum. I think all of us chose to powder coat them black so the screens matched the other screens that are presently on the car. I would probably still recommend having the screens them selves black. But, I think that this "fender fin" would add a lot of extra dimension.

This is a lousy drawing but will show you "kind of" what I am talking about...

[/IMG]

This next image is a photo-shopped image from Goeckel. They are showing a fin on the fender similar to what I am talking about. When I emailed them to ask about it, they told me it wasn't available (just like over half the stuff on their website). But, at least it gives you another idea of what I am talking about.

[/IMG]

·
Premium Member
4,909 Posts
I think I mentioned when I posted pictures a while back, that under certain lighting and shading and angle, the modification can be hard to spot on a black car, especially on pictures. But it is not invisible as the postings referenced by jbanks of Mick and my car show.

The main difference between the mod on a black car vs Steve's white car, is the contrast between the color of the mesh and the car itself. Obviously everyone so far has gone for a satin-black powder coating job on the mesh, which makes it stand out less on a black car vs a white.

I think this is the main visual difference between Steve's pictures on the one hand and Mick and my pics on the other. If you want to draw more attention to the mesh and thereby the mod, you can powder it in a different color. This would look especially sweet if you match it with the color of your brakes for instance. If you had yellow brake calipers, and black wheels, powdering the mesh yellow would look amazing I bet.

The mesh is very cheap and powdering it costs less than $20 so you can try a few iterations until you're happy if you want to go this route.

All that said, it is a really eye-catching modification, including on a black car. I have lots of people that come up next to me on the freeway to take a closer look.

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
..... If you want to draw more attention to the mesh and thereby the mod, you can powder it in a different color. This would look especially sweet if you match it with the color of your brakes for instance. If you had yellow brake calipers, and black wheels, powdering the mesh yellow would look amazing I bet.
That would look very cool!

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1.) billvp
2.) Klinh
In a recent conversation with John (UK-C200), he told me to put his name on the list. So, there you have it. If I have made a mistake by doing this, I am sure he will come in and append accordingly. But for now, there are three purchasers. All we need are three more :D

1.) billvp
2.) Klinh
3.) UK-C200

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.