Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all! I purchased my ?98 SLK230 a few months ago as a salvage vehicle with 175k miles for $2000. Sounds pretty bad but it's actually in good condition. It's one of those 'good bones' cars that I can rebuild as I go. Will I eventually end up spending more? Maybe. But I love working on cars and this thing should give me a steady dose of issues 'err' opportunities to expand my knowledge base lol and I'll have an old car with mostly new parts instead of an old car with well preserved (aka time bomb) parts. Anyway, I needed a cheap car for college and although there were other options in better condition, I fell in love with the vario-roof (had never seen it before) and the fact that it was supercharged (since the wife green-lit a 4-cyl car only, as my excuse was to save gas). Great loophole. Anyway, I frequent lots of different forums, mostly American car forums, but never post. Actually, I never become a member. Most any question I could come up with is usually already answered so there's no point. But for the first time I found a solution and wanted to share it with my fellow cheapskates (or economic pessimists if being cheap offends you) and this is my first foreign car. I must say that even for it's age I am very impressed. So far all it's needed was a head gasket replacement (rear head to block oil leak), PSE ($200 Ebay), headlights (more of a want, actually, again Ebay), Electric fan control module ($20 Ebay), and some other odds and ends typical of a used car. Since I do all the work myself, all the repairs have only set me back the cost of parts. As mentioned though, overall I love the car and can't wait to rebuild/port the supercharger as well as install the larger crank pulley. My ashtray came destroyed so I removed it, made a piece of plastic with a hole in it to fill the void and fit a $9 ebay boost/vacuum gauge in there. Only 7 psi is depressing on a 30 psi gauge lol. Oh and a fuel filter inline stops the cheap gauge flutter so it works great and steady. I also get my boost from one of the two ports on the rear of the manifold, in case anyone asks. That gives the most accurate/relevant reading in my opinion.
Anyway, I'm the guy that just posted the info in the r170 General Discussion about bypassing the vario roof speed limited and making the roof switch automatic. If any of you also have vario roofs with a switch similar to the r170, you may also be able to do this mod. You may just have to double check your vehicle specific diagrams to find out what your wire colors are. As long as they perform the same functions as the wires I connected to, the mods will work. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator 2006 SLK 280
11,079 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com from Northern California
:burnout::Beer:

jbanks15 said:
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable or to ‘edit’, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM/edit. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,361 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,814 Posts
Welcome from Canada :grin:

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,140 Posts
Welcome from Wirral, England.

Your regional threads for meets, local info etc:
U.S. Southwest Region - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Our ride of the month competition, FREE ENTRY.
You can enter between the 1st and 15th of every month.
Voting/selection takes place from the 15th onwards:
http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Must be something going on in Texas. A new cult maybe.
Seem to have had a few TX joiners of late.

Thanks for taking the time to post an intro.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Welcome from Wirral, England.

Must be something going on in Texas. A new cult maybe.
Seem to have had a few TX joiners of late.

Thanks for taking the time to post an intro.

There is something going on. It's winter and we are still melting

I'm not affiliated with anyone though, so I'm just a coincidental additional member.
Anyway, I want to say thanks. I joined another form a week before this and have had nowhere near the amount of "community" feel that this one has shown me. I mean a week later and not a single reply to my posts and they weren't even questions that had been beaten to death. It was new information. Oh well. So thanks to all at SLKworld who have taken the time to read/reply to my posts and welcome me into the forum!

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,140 Posts
There is something going on. It's winter and we are still melting lol

I'm affiliated with anyone though, so I'm just a coincidental additional member.
Anyway, I want to say thanks. I joined another form a week before this and have had nowhere near the amount of "community" feel that this one has shown me. I mean a week later and not a single reply to my posts and they weren't even questions that had been beaten to death. It was new information. Oh well. So thanks to all at SLKworld who have taken the time to read/reply to my posts and welcome me into the forum!
Most of us here have had that same feeling.

Our members are different for a reason.

SLKs make you smile.
That makes you more inclined to join in I think.

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
12,037 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,405 Posts
Hi and welcome to SLKWorld.com from the UK Midlands - Thanks for joining us and posting an intro! :)

·
Registered 2013 SLK250
278 Posts
Welcome from Houston. Great to have someone so crafty as yourself on the forum!
I also enjoyed my SLK230 till it was totaled last year in a very bad accident. I feel the quality of the car saved me in that accident. I was going to replace it with a new Miata, but my wife said," No way! You will get another Mercedes as it saved your life when that 18 wheeler ran you over" Thank goodness I listened to my brilliant wife and bought a used SLK250 which I love even more then my SLK230.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts