Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm a here, and of course, like many others before me, I got here while looking for answers to some technical questions.

I just bought a 98 SLK230 a week ago on an impulse, and as luck would have it, it has developed a few issues almost immediately. Other than the peeling paint, I now have a low beam out, as well as a couple of dash illumination bulbs.

BUt the rest of the car seems to be pretty good, the engine feels solid, handles quite well, and there are only a few minor creaks and noises coming from the roof when going over our famous city potholes.

My wife is pretty understanding about my new toy, or simply chalks it up to my midlife crisis/second childhood, but I think I'll enjoy this car as long as I can get the few quirks sorted out. :biglaugh:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,105 Posts
Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and yr) in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on locale and model and year.
Usercp at the top of page, edit your details, location/vehicle.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.
If you wish to PM (Private Message) someone, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘new members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members listed to obtain your needed posts.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, perhaps something that saved you time or money, please consider becoming a donating member or make a one-time donation to offset development and operating costs. Even $5 is welcome! At the top of the page, click ‘Donate now’. Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Welcome to the boards.
If ther low beam on one side just stopped working, like mine did right after I got it, you might want to remove the cover over the connectors, remove, reconnect them, and put the cover back on. It got it going again on mine and is a free easy fix if the connector being loose is the problem.

·
Fanatical Member-sold-->2010 SLK300
3,419 Posts
Welcome Dude. Another neighbor on here. Good luck with the mid life crisis, but enjoy the heck out of your toy!

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Welcome from southern California.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Welcome from Michigan.....

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Daytona Beach, Florida!

Other than the peeling paint, I now have a low beam out, as well as a couple of dash illumination bulbs.
The peeling interior paint, I assume? I recently refinished my interior due to the same issues. You can see my restoration thread on this forum here.

http://www.slkworld.com/general-modifications-r170/18227-my-car-restoration-thread.html

I used Viponds Tautflex to refinish the interior. I can provide you with more info if you decide to go this route. The paint costs under $50 and is enough to redo the entire interior and both doors if you choose to.

...there are only a few minor creaks and noises coming from the roof when going over our famous city potholes.
The roof creaks are common. I solved my issues with creaking by addressing the rubber seals on the rear lid. If you open the roof halfway, and stop it in mid motion (simply let go of the roof button to stop it) you can get to the rubber weatherstrip on the rear deck. These rubber pieces get hard over the years and as they do, create creaking noises when they rub up against the glass and other plastic parts when the roof is up. Dress them up with some rubber treatment, (I use Adam's VRT or Black Wow) or just something (even plain armor all) to soften them up a bit. This solved "most" of the creaking issues for me. You can also try applying some new grease to the hindges in the top mechanism (again, when it is halfway open for easy access).

Enjoy your new toy, post some pics when you get a chance!

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
There is a good MB mechanic in Burlingame, south on the 101, exit to Burlingame, and he's directly across from the Porsche dealer.
We lived in Sunnyvale while serving at NAS Moffet Field from 88-91. When I was on the A320 we layed over at the Burlingame Doubletree. Still miss the area.

Welcome!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts