Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
*Registered
1998 SLK230
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first post despite browsing some very helpful information during my relatively uneventful year of owning my R170, thank you to everyone.
Many years ago I started my career at Rolls Royce Motors and have always enjoyed good engineering and design which I have found in my little roadster.
However with over 110k and 18 years of different owners, servicing etc she has developed a swamp where the passenger footwell used to be, shortly after I cleared the drains (parked next to conifers!) and attempted to lift carpets for drying (hope not to need to dismantle centre console to release the carpet?) the battery has died. I used a battery pack to get her going and found without the pack connected, 9.6volts across the weak battery, 11volts when off the car. So now I think the alternator has packed up, but I do not believe in coincidence and am concerned that once I dry the car out completely (using a dehumidifier) and fit a new alternator I will possibly have this fault again.
So can anyone tell me what damage the damp could have done to this lovely little car of mine.
She has been totally reliable apart from needing a new blower motor and regulator which with hindsight was probably caused by a blocked drain! By the way, on my car it looks like the UK passenger side windscreen water drain, rubber pipe, has been totally removed in the past and the water seems to drain by the side of the battery housing and down through a hole into a void! Didn't notice earlier and wonder if somewater has been finding it's way into the cabin?
Anyway, enough of my concerns, I am just very pleased to have access to such a wealth of knowledge and experience and can't wait to get my little car going properly.

·
*Premium Member
2004 SLK200K
10,777 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 (Mercedes Benz SLK Forum -) Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum.

mods you should do:
smarttop

http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/121481-what-smarttop-all-members-keep-talking-about.html

Lube those seals:
http://www.slkworld.com/226839-post1.html

Your brochure:
http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/167265-mercedes-brochure-archive.html#post1511249

Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car).

http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum (ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum)

Cheers, Craige...

·
*Premium Member
2004 SLK200K
10,777 Posts
I think you'll find the drain in the battery compartment goes down into the wheel arch area and out, but it should have a rubber tube, it might be worth removing the wheel arch and checking out where it's going to..

In the passenger footwell at the front behind the carpet you may heve an amplifier depending on your audio setup, worth having a look at when drying out..

How old is the battery, it might be time for a new one ?

·
Founding Member 2006
108,830 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
Hi and welcome from the UK Midlands! :)

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
6,162 Posts
StokeB,

Welcome from Conyers, GA. I don't think the water coming in will damage your alternator or your battery, although anything is possible I guess. The AC blower is usually the first victim due to water coming in through the fresh-air intake. I've had a little experience with waterproofing this area, my best advice is to always soak-test the car after these repairs. Use a garden hose and spray pattern to be sure you've sealed it tight. You'll get snarky comments from your neighbors but my experience is that sealing these cars up is a hit or miss proposition. The center drain under the windshield simply drains onto the top of the transmission, there is a short rubber tube here.

Here's my current approach:
- Clear the drains (all 8 - three are in the floor of the trunk) and ensure they're fitted snugly and working perfect.
- Remove the front wheels and the wheel liners.
- Take a good look at the seal between the windshield and the cowl (the black plastic at the base of the windshield) especially at the outboard ends.
- Remove the wipers and the windshield cowl. You can't fully remove the cowl because it's attached to the washer pump. Pay attention to what goes where as there are a few foam and rubber bits. You can work the washer hose up a little by removing it from the washer pump. Be prepared for spillage.
- Clean the inside of the front fenders/wings, especially near the bottom where the water drains out and the dirt accumulates. Vacuum it out good. You might need to remove the washer bottle to get to it.
- Remove and clean the seal between the windshield and the cowl, and also clean the groove in the cowl where this seal sits.
- Apply a generous amount of sealant (preferably black) in the groove on the cowl.
- Re-fit the seal to the windshield, ensuring the ends are as before.
- Re-fit the cowl to the windshield.

·
*Premium Member
2009 SLK55 AMG
14,633 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

·
*Registered
1998 SLK230
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Water leak into passenger footwell - update

Thought it may interest someone but when I went to take the wiper blades off to enable me to remove the "scuttle"? I found that the plastic wall in front of the central wiper had been previously damaged due to levering against it to remove the wiper which allowed water to be sucked into the blower air intake and then into the passenger footwell!

After repairing the wall, clearing drains and allowing my lifted carpets to dry for a few weeks, it all looks dry now.

Thanks for the help on this forum, much appreciated.

·
*Registered
1998 SLK230
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Charging problems persist, new battery&regulator, Suspect K

My battery wasn't charging so I checked the alternator with a voltmeter which showed it was putting out 8.7volts.

The battery was not trickle charging too well so changed for a new Bosch S5 008.

Took alternator off, cleaned it and replaced it's worn regulator. (Changed drive belts whilst there, they were slightly cracked but not bad really).
Now I get +19volts at the alternator but still no charge at the battery.

The K56? relay shows the alterntor voltage reaches it but only 12.05volts on the battery side of it.

So am I correct in thinking it is this relay which is faulty?

Just a thought, my SRS light came on prior to the charging issues and when I took out my passenger seat to dry the carpets I noticed it's wiring connection was disconnected under the seat, could this be linked to my charging problem?

If I need a K56 relay where can I get one? I cannot find a new one in the UK.

Thanks in anticipation.

·
*Registered
1998 SLK230
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
K56 crash relay seems certain to be at fault....

Just found on another forum that water ingress into the passenger side can cause the K56 crash relay internal fuse to blow, which fits my situation completely, and since the relay is not serviceable I will still need a new one but temporarily I can join together the connections from the alternator and to the battery on the relay until I find a replacement.

Some have mentioned that this relay is not used on later models, is this true and if so can it just be bypassed permanently?

·
*Registered
1998 SLK230
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just found on another forum that water ingress into the passenger side can cause the K56 crash relay internal fuse to blow, which fits my situation completely, and since the relay is not serviceable I will still need a new one but temporarily I can join together the connections from the alternator and to the battery on the relay until I find a replacement.

Some have mentioned that this relay is not used on later models, is this true and if so can it just be bypassed permanently?
Bypassed the K56 crash relay today and yippee I now have 14.4 volts at the battery with the engine ticking over, just hope bypassing it doesn't cause another issue.
Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.