Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I mean Greenstuff!
The classic car world seems to rate these pads for minimising brake dust which ruins their pretty chrome wire wheels.
As already reported a zillion times Mercedes and other modern cars are an absolute pain in the .... when it comes to wheels becoming black with dust after the shortest drive. I now take a collapsible plastic bucket & sponge when going away on holiday or short breaks & like the sad BRITISH eccentric I am can be spotted washing my alloys in hotel car parks!! :laugh:

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
A long time ago Greenstuff were reckoned to be such, but not now. Greenstuff are the equivalent to OEM - ie they produce black corrosive dust (maybe not as much as Mercedes OEM though). They are easy grab.

Redstuff on the other hand are ceramic and produce a brown dust that can be wiped away with a cloth pretty well. They require a bit more effort at the pedal particularly when cold.

Yellowstuff is beginning to make a name for itself as excellent grab with minimal dust - albeit black.

You should be using Redstuff. Or Aklebono. Or Centric Posi Quiet.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I've used red stuff pads on several of my previous cars and as far as reducing dust to nearly zero they've been excellent. However, on my MR2 turbo I've found the feeling a bit wooden, which wasn't the case with my other cars.

Initially I considered fitting them to my SLK but the last time I looked they didn't seem to be available for the rear calipers.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Oldmercman: I really sympathise with you on this, the dust deposits are a real pain. I think I'm right in saying that the AMG sport version you have has larger, drilled disks to the standard model which might exacerbate the problem further for you. Also, it may not be of much consolation, but if you think MB's OEM pads are bad for dust, they're brilliant compared to the ones BMW fit to the MINI Cooper... A couple of turns of the wheel and it looks like you've been dirt tracking in an open cast coal mine and they're not even drilled!

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
I've used red stuff pads on several of my previous cars and as far as reducing dust to nearly zero they've been excellent. However, on my MR2 turbo I've found the feeling a bit wooden, which wasn't the case with my other cars.

Initially I considered fitting them to my SLK but the last time I looked they didn't seem to be available for the rear calipers.
Correct. I believe there are commercial reasons for this. I have a buddy in the UK who is a large retailer for EBC, I will ask him what the equivalent number is for you - it might take a couple of weeks.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,371 Posts
A long time ago Greenstuff were reckoned to be such, but not now. Greenstuff are the equivalent to OEM - ie they produce black corrosive dust (maybe not as much as Mercedes OEM though). They are easy grab.

Redstuff on the other hand are ceramic and produce a brown dust that can be wiped away with a cloth pretty well. They require a bit more effort at the pedal particularly when cold.

Yellowstuff is beginning to make a name for itself as excellent grab with minimal dust - albeit black.

You should be using Redstuff. Or Aklebono. Or Centric Posi Quiet.
I installed the Akebono ceramic pads on my 2012 SLK 350 several years ago and they are fantastic - no brake dust, solid brake pedal feel and OEM performance.
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r172-ge...nstalling-akebono-ceramic-pads-slk-350-a.html
I installed Centric Posi Quiet pads on the rear brakes and they have as much brake dust as the OEM pads did.

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
Apologies - I should have said there are three variants of PosiQuiet - semi metallic, extended wear and ceramic.

Were yours the ceramic ones or semi metallic?

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,371 Posts
Apologies - I should have said there are three variants of PosiQuiet - semi metallic, extended wear and ceramic.

Were yours the ceramic ones or semi metallic?
Semi metallic, they didn't have ceramic ones for the SLK.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.