Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My "Check Engine" light went on the day I was taking Beastie to the shop for the Kleemann mod.
It was the mass airflow sensor.

Tim at German Master Tech proposed it may be as a result of the new air filters.
I told him that "anybody who's anybody on the SLK site" uses the green filters, haven't heard of an issue with them.

Anybody else ever had an issue with their mass airflow sensor after installing the green filters?

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
94,089 Posts
When I got my 09 in May of 08
it was about 1 week old.
I had greens
It disintegrated into my MAF and they replaced it under warranty
That was when Green had a bunch of 'bad' filters.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting!

Perhaps there's a bad batch out again, or maybe these have sat on the shelf since then... I did get them off Amazon...

·
94,089 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've "got money"?
Not sure how that rumor started... lol

It would likely be good to have better airflow since we're doing the headers, but I'll just stick with the paper for now... I really don't think it makes much of a difference on this car.

Do you?

·
94,089 Posts
the guys from c2design recommended bmc to me but as soon as i see the words 'oil' i shy away.

from my emails to him. his comments:

The BMCs are oiled but the oil is very light....unlike KNs. I think I only used Greens a couple of times.....KNs were failing and BMCs were impossible to get(Italian company)....

BMCs have never left me down.

K&Ns are just so-so it seems. Not such a good fit, too much oil. I prefer to keep stock ones in before K&Ns.

(BMC) They're very good though. Their fit is perfect. K&Ns are the worst. Greens are good but a little hard to find. I put BMCs in my own ride....

·
Banned
801 Posts
The MAF sensors are blamed for a lot things. Most of the time they are innocent. A MAF error usually is the result of not a bad MAF but a problem with something else like a faulty connection sending a poor signal to the ECU, a faulty MAP, a bad O2 sensor, faulty injectors, poor fuel pump pressure, and many other things.

In the case of the MAF, it is easy to check its function with a volt meter:

You can also try cleaning it:

Also I would only use the air filters that MB recommends. I'd especially stay away from K&N. It is pointless to change air filters anyway. Any HP gains are in your imagination.

Of all the cars ever built, MB is the only one I would carefully heed the recommendations for fluids & filters!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^ That's great info, thanks!

I'm trusting Tim at German Master Tech to have checked thoroughly to isolate the issue as a bad MAF, but mistakes can be made.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts