Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took the newly acquired 06 SLK350 on the first road trip. Started out in Asheville, NC, then out the Blue Ridge Parkway to Gatlinburg. Couple of nice day trips through the mountain roads to Cherokee, NC and another out to the 11 mile Cades Cove loop road. Great weather and plenty of twists and turns through the fabulous scenery of the Smokies. The car was flawless, though packing for a week was a challenge. :) Oh yeah, during one 300 miles segment, it averaged 29 MPG!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,238 Posts
Sounds like a wonderful time! I've been to those places, unfortunately not with the SLK, and the roads and scenery are amazing! Run into any bears? Consider yourself fortunate to live in Gods country!

Post some pics!

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Nice Drive

Just took the newly acquired 06 SLK350 on the first road trip. Started out in Asheville, NC, then out the Blue Ridge Parkway to Gatlinburg. Couple of nice day trips through the mountain roads to Cherokee, NC and another out to the 11 mile Cades Cove loop road. Great weather and plenty of twists and turns through the fabulous scenery of the Smokies. The car was flawless, though packing for a week was a challenge. :) Oh yeah, during one 300 miles segment, it averaged 29 MPG!
Now that's a nice drive. My wife and I drove through Asheville to Gatlinburg two summers ago and really enjoyed the drive. I can't wait to do it again soon.

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
3,440 Posts
I am looking to relocate possibly to Columbia, SC. No specific location required. I have tentatively chosen Columbia, SC because of the following criteria in descending order of importance:

1) Medical care for my elderly mother;
2) Cost of living (income tax, property costs ect;
3) Weather (No snow, and yet not too much heat);
4) Attitude of the natives/things to do - looking for small town people, not an actual one horse town and
5) Geography, is it pretty?

I am soliciting advice and possibly alternatives.

Any follow up suggestions? I will probably be taking a 10 day trip up there in November to look at the lay of the land, so if anyone has input, it would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Love the Western North Carolina ! Had a home in Maggie Valley, which you probably went thru to Cherokee, Did you go into Waynesville ? Great Country, just beautiful.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
South Carolina

I am looking to relocate possibly to Columbia, SC. No specific location required. I have tentatively chosen Columbia, SC because of the following criteria in descending order of importance:

1) Medical care for my elderly mother;
2) Cost of living (income tax, property costs ect;
3) Weather (No snow, and yet not too much heat);
4) Attitude of the natives/things to do - looking for small town people, not an actual one horse town and
5) Geography, is it pretty?

I am soliciting advice and possibly alternatives.

Any follow up suggestions? I will probably be taking a 10 day trip up there in November to look at the lay of the land, so if anyone has input, it would be appreciated!
I live an hour's drive north of the South Carolina border right off I-95. I have traveled all over the state of South Carolina. If I relocated I would choose Charleston hands down. There's something there for everyone and parts of it feel much like Florida.

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
We've had friends that lived in Charleston (Navy) and they loved the town - lots of great areas, architecture etc. Sorry I don't know about the cost of living (but we live in Canada...so it's got to be better!).

JMyers - more and bigger fotos please, pretty please! PS what color interior - the first SLK we ever drove was white/red.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems like there's some interest in the Smokies road trip. We didn't make it to Waynesville but were close. Will try to catch it on the next trip.

Re: Mensra's interest in Columbia, we have places in Atlanta and Beaufort SC. Beaufort is nice but probably a little small for what you are looking for. We have family in Columbia but I don't know too much about it. We have heard great things about the community in Greenville so you might want to check it out. Charleston is a special place and I think it has the features you are seeking but it can get so hot in the summer that it's tough to hang out downtown. I hear Columbia gets about as hot. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Those that love the Smoky's raise your hand! We should plan a time next year that a bunch of use get together to meet and plan a drive through the region! Great way to meet, talk, eat, and drive through the area enjoying the scenes!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts