Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a tower strut bar from UltraRacing. (Picture later) I have couple of questions though.

The fastening brackets are about 4mm thick, leaving in my opinion not enaugh threads on the original bolts. Can they be replaced?? (Hoping that JBanks has pictures of the suspension assembly)

How much torque should I use to tighten them??

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,173 Posts
No sorry, but I remember a thread on the same subject of bolt length.

·
94,173 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
2,204 Posts
No sorry, but I remember a thread on the same subject of bolt length.
Jeff is correct that there is a thread that discusses the special type of nut needed to secure the strut brace. Not sure if we came up with a source but I do remember a picture of the nut. I was part of that discussion so you may be able to search using my screen name.

The nuts are to be torqued to 26 Ft Lb (35 Nm).

Good luck.

·
94,173 Posts

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll look into other type of nuts. Btw. here is a picture of the installation.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It makes the front a bit stiffer, reducing flexing in high speed cornering.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It seems like the nuts I need, are not available here in Europe.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Then, buy them in from wherever!
I think you will find they are the same as the BMW M3 struts - see this link to Tischer in the US that even gives you the part numbers!
Tischer BMW - OEM E46 M3 Front Strut Brace Kit!!! - E46Fanatics

Be careful with them as you will need to widen the existing holes in the plates which will need to be quite precise!
I believe for the purpose, the existing nuts are fine - ok the thread does not come all they through, but a good portion of the nut is 'working'.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the link. Found a supplier for them in Sweden, but they charge double the price as Toughnutz.

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Never had a problem in years with the stock bolts. The bolt length looks the same with Black Series model and strut brace.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
2,204 Posts
Never had a problem in years with the stock bolts. The bolt length looks the same with Black Series model and strut brace.
I wonder if the Black Series uses a different nut - such as the shoulder nut, then the cars that do not have the strut bar. Unfortunately, no easy way to look up parts on the Black Series cars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts