Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everyone!
Hoping to get some inputs as to how to resolve my problem. I recently purchased a 2001 SLK200 and have been using it for a week now till the other night. On the way home from the hospital, I thought of bring the top down, the cool air of 3 in the morning was relaxing. As I parked the car in the garage, I put the top back up, turned off the engine but accidentally left the key in the ignition

The following day, I found the car doors locked and the spare remote (with new batteries) also wont work. Tried the manual key option. Also nothing

Would appreciate your experiences/advise on this

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
99,760 Posts

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
14,805 Posts
You say the manual key (from your spare) won't turn in the door lock? OR it turns but won't open.

Just need to clarify that b4 providing more assistance.

·
99,760 Posts
so it does turn in the door handle?
if it has not been used in 18 years, you might have to use some wd40 in the lock

·
14,805 Posts

·
99,760 Posts
See Len's post above n try that or one of the other links in my thread

there is always the old locksmith or mb dealer

·
Registered
161 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you sir! I actually called my paintless dent repair guy & that was what he did. He inserted an inflatable bag between the weather strip and the glass, inflated it and inserted a special instrument/flexible snare and grabbed the handle. A quick 3-4min procedure. He said the manual key-lock mechanism isnt working, probably a broken plastic attachment or something

·
14,805 Posts
It's amazing what you can find on eBay at times: - Emergency Car Entry Kit - presumably so you can get into your car or anyone else's car .. :surprise:
But I wouldnt want to get stopped for one reason by the police and found to have break and enter tools in my vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good morning everyone. Would like to update those who might be interested with my power lock problem. Turns out the driver’s side power lock mechanism was ‘frankensteined’ by the previous owner. My r170’s dashboard is currently being restored. Will send finished product pictures once I get the car back.

i attached a photo of the original mechanism (left) and the replacement unit(right)

the spare key, unfortunately, was diagnosed ‘beyond repair’. Though it is still recognized by the ignition system will just serve as a spare key.

looking forward to getting my baby back

Attachments

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
86 Posts
Good morning everyone. Would like to update those who might be interested with my power lock problem. Turns out the driver’s side power lock mechanism was ‘frankensteined’ by the previous owner. My r170’s dashboard is currently being restored. Will send finished product pictures once I get the car back.

i attached a photo of the original mechanism (left) and the replacement unit(right)

the spare key, unfortunately, was diagnosed ‘beyond repair’. Though it is still recognized by the ignition system will just serve as a spare key.

looking forward to getting my baby back
I'm having this same problem with the driver side door, were unable to get in as well.

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
86 Posts
With the flip key, I took it out and soak it in WD40 and yet nothing I could not turn the key. The remote work fine, the reason I worry about it what if the car have a dead battery and or bad door switch, so how would I be able to get in. The ignition and trunk key are working fine.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts