Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the shop to repair now..i was changing the lane (double lane) to exit ...and there was a lady right at my blind spot , hit my ride side..

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Ouch - sorry to hear about that - hope everyone is safe. Is it all cosmetic or is there damage to the suspension as well? Can't really tell from the picture, but the wheel looks odd - maybe just the angle?

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
There is a blind spot with the top up...so stay top down campers! Glad you're ok and sorry about your car.

I find the passenger side (thereby being UK/NA correct) mirror does not have a great view due to the large rear wheel arches.

Why people ride in another car's blind spot is another mystery.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
OUCH x2. Sorry to learn about the incident. Hope it is sorted soon.

Incidentally, there's a way to adjust the outside rear-view mirrors so it looks at your blind-spot (left and right), use the cockpit rear-view mirror to check the rear, and as a precaution, I usually double check by head-turning manuever before changing lanes.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,318 Posts
Sorry to hear this. The body shop will make it better than new

·
Registered
506 Posts
All in sight

OUCH x2. Sorry to learn about the incident. Hope it is sorted soon.

Incidentally, there's a way to adjust the outside rear-view mirrors so it looks at your blind-spot (left and right), use the cockpit rear-view mirror to check the rear, and as a precaution, I usually double check by head-turning manuever before changing lanes.

Ditto...

The mirror adjustment really works... takes a bit of time before you warm up to it. Well worth the time and effort it takes.:tu:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
funny thing is that i looked in mirror and i see nobody ...really i always adjusted the all mirrors before i go..But it was 10:pM and i worn glasses....

lucky i was around just 65mph on freeway...and two cars just slide away..
my gf freak out again tho...LOL first the car spinned 360 degree now this is second time..i bet she will not sit in this car again..

But after the fix, im going to ship to my sis...and im going to get CLS 55 or Maserati GT coupe

I could not Steer at at all, something stuck or bend underneath at steering arm..

insurance est 3100 for this but mean while im going to change another set of wheels to 18" and customs the fenders ...

I felt bad for my beloved car.

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,349 Posts
Sorry to hear your baby is not well talking about people riding the Blindspot. I have it happen everyday 4 wheelers riding the Blindsport for miles next in my Semi

·
Registered
352 Posts
i always manually check before making a lane change and try to be aware of where the cars are around me.

still though, in free flowing traffic i dont understand why people just cruise in someone else's blind spot. I don't know, some people are just oblivious.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,415 Posts
Blind spots. If you have your mirror adjusted correctly you do not have blind spots. Took me a long time before I found this out and takes so time to adjust to the new mirror setting. Most people use the side mirror to see behind them that is what the inside mirror is for the side mirror is see whats beside you. Check out the following website.

http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/tech/mirrors/

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
this help alot,...

Blind spots. If you have your mirror adjusted correctly you do not have blind spots. Took me a long time before I found this out and takes so time to adjust to the new mirror setting. Most people use the side mirror to see behind them that is what the inside mirror is for the side mirror is see whats beside you. Check out the following website.

http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/tech/mirrors/

·
6,796 Posts
Berliner...if they ride in YOUR blind spot they do so at their own peril.

Chuck, part of the problem with every car is getting a good view, while having a spatial reference. You can swing the mirror "out" wide, but you have no reference to your own car. I was taught to adjust it to see a bit of fender/side and as much of the road in the adjoining lane as possible. You also have to adjust it again when you're driving (you tend to turn your head more when adjusting it at the standstill).

Since the SLK sits rather low, and many vehicles today are so darn tall (SUVs wannabe 4x4s) it's hard to pick them out in the mirror. Top up (shame!) the blind spot is much bigger. Top down, you can hear the big ones!

As for shoulder checks, I think a lot of us get a little lax (sic?). In the Air Force we called it "have your head on a swivel".

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm fairly new to the SLK, and it took me a while to realise that the whole top of the cabin is tapered - it's wider at the front than the back.

So when I got the car, I had the mirrors adjusted to look down the sides of the cabin - but they were angled inwards because of the taper and there was a massive overlap with the interior mirror. Now I have them much further out, so I can only just see the door handles.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I think that comes from riding a motorcycle for 41 years.
I do agree with you on the experience from riding motorcycles. I read a few years ago where the president of the AMA (American Motorcycle Assoc) was killed while riding in the blind spot of a semi. Some people think they have enough time to maneuver their vehicle in time to find out they're a second too late. I just came back from SoCal and bikes were maneuvering between cars on the expressways like they owned the road. Plum crazy.

Enjoy,
Dave

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
turn out rack pinion steering damaged :( ....couldnt think of why...it didnt hit directly but was slide away... any information for rack pinion steering ? i heard mercedes only sell used part and need to trade your part in.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,415 Posts
Berliner...if they ride in YOUR blind spot they do so at their own peril.

Chuck, part of the problem with every car is getting a good view, while having a spatial reference. You can swing the mirror "out" wide, but you have no reference to your own car. I was taught to adjust it to see a bit of fender/side and as much of the road in the adjoining lane as possible. You also have to adjust it again when you're driving (you tend to turn your head more when adjusting it at the standstill).

Since the SLK sits rather low, and many vehicles today are so darn tall (SUVs wannabe 4x4s) it's hard to pick them out in the mirror. Top up (shame!) the blind spot is much bigger. Top down, you can hear the big ones!

As for shoulder checks, I think a lot of us get a little lax (sic?). In the Air Force we called it "have your head on a swivel".

Only suggest you try what the website says. One need to find there own comfort level. SUV vs SLK this past week end a big pickup truck tried pulling in my lane twice. I applied the brakes and layed on the horn he pulled back over and then right away did it again. I applied the brakes and layed on the horn again. He pulled back into his lane the second time. That when I applied the petal to the metal and got away from him. The SLK is low and the big ones look over us. No only is the blind spot to them is to the side and but below them also.

·
6,796 Posts
FWIW...I do think drl's are worth their weight in gold...you are more visible. I really notice the difference when I drive in countries that don't use them.

That said, I see a lot of people here driving blacked out. By this I mean, it's dusk or dark, they are zipping down the highway, marker lights out. You see, they have the Cdn mandated drls, the city's street lights, and the manufacturer's instrument lighting. I am thankful for mazda's and MB's system - detector says it's dark out...ALL the lights come on!

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
I'm fairly new to the SLK, and it took me a while to realise that the whole top of the cabin is tapered - it's wider at the front than the back.

So when I got the car, I had the mirrors adjusted to look down the sides of the cabin - but they were angled inwards because of the taper and there was a massive overlap with the interior mirror. Now I have them much further out, so I can only just see the door handles.
When adjusted as suggested you won't see the door handles when seated at the driver seat. You'll have to move driver's head to the middle of the cockpit and then look at the passenger-side outside rear-view mirror, this is the only time you can see the side of your own vehicle. On the driver-side, you move driver's head until it just touches the driver side main window, this is the only other time you should see the side of your own vehicle.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.