Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
561 Posts

1. Cant wait to see pics!
While you're waiting, here's a few pics of my new grill. The grill is all silver, so as to match the car. If you look at the pictures, you'll notice that there's an extra fourth horizontal bar at the top. Well it's not part of the purchased grill. I've added it to make the grill unique. I attached a piece of aluminium angle to the underside of the front edge of the bonnet. I angled it slightly forward, to follow the line of the grill slats. Then I attached some chrome strip. I think that it makes the grill more "finished" and the top slat matches the lower. What do you think?

David

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230 Kompressor
437 Posts
While you're waiting, here's a few pics of my new grill. The grill is all silver, so as to match the car. If you look at the pictures, you'll notice that there's an extra fourth horizontal bar at the top. Well it's not part of the purchased grill. I've added it to make the grill unique. I attached a piece of aluminium angle to the underside of the front edge of the bonnet. I angled it slightly forward, to follow the line of the grill slats. Then I attached some chrome strip. I think that it makes the grill more "finished" and the top slat matches the lower. What do you think?

David

View attachment 574581 View attachment 574582 View attachment 574583
Your car looks great David, it gives me a better idea of how mine will look once I install the new grille. Your retrofit looks professional!

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
561 Posts
WOW! So shiny, definitely will look amazing on the silver car!
That style of grill leans more to the Mercedes R171 .It wouldn't be for me ... Each to their own and thank Heavens that we're all different! And I'm certainly that! Everything that I've ever owned ends up unique! Oh, the registration plate is to be replaced with a stainless-steel backing and will be raised 2-3 cm, in the near future

David

·
Registered 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
2,594 Posts
you'll notice that there's an extra fourth horizontal bar at the top. Well it's not part of the purchased grill. I've added it to make the grill unique. I attached a piece of aluminium angle to the underside of the front edge of the bonnet. I angled it slightly forward, to follow the line of the grill slats. Then I attached some chrome strip. I think that it makes the grill more "finished" and the top slat matches the lower.
I have been planning on doing that to mine for a while, wasn't certain what it would look like, but now I've seen it, it's a (y) ;)

This is the new grille I purchased for my SLK. I have yet to install it but it will look sweet.
Being a Blue Car, I got the Black Version for mine ............

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
248 Posts

Really nice work DAJ 190 ..
And Ledger35 .. Yours look very much like mine..and I like mine together with my headlamps.

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
248 Posts
Looks terrific Petri, I want to do my headlights like yours. Did you have to do anything special? Let me know, thanks.
No, I only had to disconnect the tubes for the adjustment.
Then it was just a simple replacement, nothing special.

·
Registered 1999 SLK230K
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, I only had to disconnect the tubes for the adjustment.
Then it was just a simple replacement, nothing special.
Were they plug and play? I see some on eBay that says they already come with the connector and you just plug it in.

·
437 Posts
Good question, this is what I’ve been wondering about. I would like to purchase a pair but don’t want to be cutting wires and splicing.

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
561 Posts
The "Depo" headlights that I've just fitted WERE a simple connection ...... "plug and play" Any headlights designed to be fitted to a specific model should be that simple! I think that's an obvious statement? You shouldn't need to be cutting anything!

David

·
437 Posts
The "Depo" headlights that I've just fitted WERE a simple connection ...... "plug and play" Any headlights designed to be fitted to a specific model should be that simple! I think that's an obvious statement? You shouldn't need to be cutting anything!

David
David,
One might think that is an obvious statement but sometimes it sounds better than it actually is. The term aftermarket is exactly what it means, made to be like the real thing with only a few details to make it work. I think you had Lady Luck on your side and were able to plug and play. Regardless, yours looks great and it gives me some inspiration to take the plunge and spend the money. Cheers!

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
248 Posts
For me it was easy, I just unattached the hose and left it there.
The bult under the indicator got replaced with a kind of ball-joint.
And then I push it on that and put the 2 screws back at the top.
The electrical part was plug and play except for the angeleyes that I had to connect myself.

According to the description R170 year 98-99 needs an adapter for the electrical part.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts