Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,Sorry to say I am leaving SLK World as a change of vehicle decrees.I have part exchanged my 16 month old SLC200 Sport for a new GLA200 Sport.Of course I lost a heap of cash in the deal but I am glad to be shut of it.Diamond Silver metallic I chose that looks like egg shell blue to me.Entering and exiting the SLC is now proving to be painful for both myself and my wife in the hip area as our oldish bodies reject the angles and body positions required to carry out these manouvres,I am still not happy with the glass sunroof/not a sunroof situation,the plastic chromed side louvres do not match the black plastic bonnet louvres(of course an optional extra!)they look like cheese graters.For an extended trip to Europe I purchased the SLC fitted luggage from Germany but still couldn't fit in all my requirements.I even bought a rifle bag(long and thin)to fit more clothing in to the boot.Actually it ended up that I could not lower the roof until my belongings were in a hotel.To sum up this was the worst/best car I have ever owned- worst as above,best technically and mechanically as I expected a Benz to be.Many thanks to the forum administration and to the members for a very slick,professional,and informative site.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Sorry to hear this but fully understand the getting in and out issue with a low car.

Agree about the cheese graters often though that myself. I love the rear and side of the SLC but that bonnet just looks a little odd!

Did you loose a great deal after a years trade in, I notice MB stopped making the sport after we bought ours!
Perhaps you could have gone for a good used C class convertible, more room in that with back seats and a little higher I think!
Good luck and thanks for letting us know and saying goodbye!
Cheers, David

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,184 Posts
Sorry that it didn't work out.

At least you have tried it and will not be thinking 'should we....'.

Hope you find your new car matches you needs much better.

·
Registered 2016 SLC200
163 Posts
Pity but totally understandable. The previous owner of my car apparently traded it in because his wife was having the same problem.

What is this fitted luggage you talk about - never heard of that and it sounds interesting. Can you post some information? Sorry for the thread drift here...

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,128 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,Yes I did by my 4 piece luggage set from Kunzmann in Germany,their website is in English and German so no problems there.The set is very well made,attractive and only to be used from hotel to car,car to house as the rigours of an airport baggage handling system would soon take the shine off this luggage!To conclude,this is a very expensive system that could be made redundant with some careful purchae of soft bags.
Cheers Pete

https://www.kunzmann.de/shop/en/accessories-collections-suitcase-set-4-pieces-mercedes-benz-slk-r172-genuine-roadsterbag.htm

·
Registered 2016 SLC200
30 Posts
I can sympathise with difficulties in getting in and out - particularly whilst currently waiting for 2 broken ribs and a damaged coccyx to heal (dangerous hobby, gardening, for 75-year olds) but I can still just about manage it.

The SLC 200 Sport is a nice car, despite a few oddities in the controls, but I always felt that it was underpowered. That's solved with a re-tune and hopefully I'll still be able to get in and out of it for a few more years. If I have trouble, I just remind myself of the car my wife owned when I met her - an MG Midget - which I wore rather than rode in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts