Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Undefeated High School Wrestler Loses on Purpose to Opponent With Down Syndrome

Devin Schuko is a great wrestler, and his high school in Norton, Mass. is proud of him.

Not just because he recently won his 100th career match, and not because he started this season off 27-0. But because Devin volunteered to lose his 28th match this season on purpose, so that his opponent — Andrew Howland, who has Down syndrome — could win.

This story has all the feels. Great win, Andy. Great sportsmanship, Devin.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
There was a lot of chatter stateside on Facebook about how could this athlete "throw" a match; "we teach our children competition..."

I was amazed at their ignorance.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
It is sad that many adults don't understand: winning is not everything. It may appear that one has lost but in the end, one has actually won a much much bigger game.

"Whoever wants to be first must take last place .... "

As Yoda might say: "Examine the heart, one must."

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
It is sad that many adults don't understand: winning is not everything. It may appear that one has lost but in the end, one has actually won a much much bigger game.

"Whoever wants to be first must take last place .... "

As Yoda might say: "Examine the heart, one must."
Knowing HS wrestlers, I wouldn't be surprised if they both went into Kayfabe mode, the zen that Pro Wrestling is real. The cameras show a clean pin. :)

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
There was a lot of chatter stateside on Facebook about how could this athlete "throw" a match; "we teach our children competition..."

How stupid can some people be...that they cannot see the bigger picture.:crying:

When I was teaching/encouraging my daughter to run..., I didn't go fullspeed, just fast enough to make her struggle to catch and keep up. Her joy when she finally crossed the line just ahead of me was wonderful to see. :grin:

Yes, competition is to be encouraged, but tailored to suit each situation.

·
Vendor
3,780 Posts

I blame the internet. Even good deeds now are challenged by bored people who think their opinions mean something. That was truly touching for that kid to do that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts