Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi SLK folks! I'm Ryan from Hershey, PA. I have a friend of a friend who parked a 2001 230 in 06...yes 06! and hasn't touched it since. Worse yet, they parked it in the woods and the car has more foliage and leaves growing around it than what most people have in their whole yard! The interior of this car is COVERED in MOLD and the locks are jammed. I couldn't even get the door opened yet. They are selling the house and the car has to go. I own a very professional detail shop and am confident I can clean this thing up but am sure I will need some help with the rest. This would be a restoration. I'll post some pictures tomorrow so you can all see what I'm talking about. They said they will consider any offer pricewise...I'm considering telling them I'll give $2000 and not a penny more. The car supposedly has 55000 miles on it and was running perfectly when they parked it and I can believe it. Wait till you see these pictures!!! Unbelievable!!!!:(

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Sounds like a fun, if time consuming project - can't wait to see pictures! Oh, and welcome from London!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,192 Posts
Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and yr) in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on locale and model and year.
Usercp at the top of page, edit your details, location/vehicle.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.
If you wish to PM (Private Message) someone, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘new members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members listed to obtain your needed posts.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, perhaps something that saved you time or money, please consider becoming a donating member or make a one-time donation to offset development and operating costs. Even $5 is welcome! At the top of the page, click ‘Donate now’. Thanks!

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
I have a friend of a friend who parked a 2001 230 in 06...yes 06! and hasn't touched it since. Worse yet, they parked it in the woods and the car has more foliage and leaves growing around it than what most people have in their whole yard! The interior of this car is COVERED in MOLD and the locks are jammed. I couldn't even get the door opened yet. They are selling the house and the car has to go. This would be a restoration. They said they will consider any offer pricewise...I'm considering telling them I'll give $2000 and not a penny more. Wait till you see these pictures!!! Unbelievable!!!!:(
:confused:Most everything you posted regarding the car is negative. Detailing is one thing, restoration is another. Are you prepared, and do you have the time to tackle the project? "Car has to go". Your $2000 offering might be too high. Start less, maybe $500-1000. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no time constraints on this project. I've done 2 frame off restos (76 Triumph TR6 and a 77 Datsun 280Z). It's a bit strange to think of a 2001 vehicle being a restoration but like mentioned above, it is more than a detail for sure. I'm not sure what I'm even up against yet since I can't even get the hood up yet or even see underneath the car!!! If it's as bad as I'm afraid it might be, the offer will be reduced. First thing is to see if I can get it to start! I am kind of excited to take this one on and see what comes out of it!

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
I am no expert but my own thoughts would be not to start the engine specially after 4 years. There won't be any lubrication, battery is probably shot if it hasn't corroded or leaked. I would think of having it towed on a flat bed truck and placed in a well-sheltered garage and work on opening the doors, engine bonnet/hood, etc. Next would come removing the engine, do a proper dismantling and inspection and reassembly after proper parts replacement as needed. Same thing on the transmission, rear axle, suspension, etc.

It does sound like a fun project, hope you keep us posted with photos and narratives as the project progresses.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Welcome from Blighty.... :)

Sounds like a cool project...

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,527 Posts
Welcome
Don't pay a cent for it!
unless it's a designo edition or a cool color.
you'll pay more than its worth to restore it.
have you done work on a car with lots of electronics. sensors etc http://slkworld.com/r170/
besides the above mentioned problems,
What kind of critters have made their home in the car and chewed through wires.
they can afford it, they must be rich to leave a car worth $20,000-$30,000 parked in the woods.

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
If it was an R171 I'd be warning you about the electronic controls suffocating the potential for some hands on restoration.

I gather the R170 has less technology, you hear the owners talk about relay switches. So a restoration might still be within the realms of a human.

Seriously though, I'd only take it for free, or a conditional payment that you can get the electronics to work.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's the pictures folks! This is how it sits right now. I paid 500 bucks for it today and am going to pick it up with a flatbed on Thursday. I'll give you all the narrative and more pictures as I go somewhere else on the forum! Thanks for all the good luck wishes! Don't worry, it won't stay looking like this ! Shucks...having trouble uploading the pictures. Check back later tonight!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Looks like a crazy project, looking forward to seeing it come back to life! Post it on the r170 section :)

·
Registered
843 Posts
Welcome to the forum and good luck with the restoration.

Hopefully the wiring and electrical connections are not overwhelming destroyed by rodents eating through the wires and corrosion on the contacts and in the relays. No idea if the engine will be seized from rust after sitting for 4 years.

$500 isn't a bad price. If you see it cannot be restored to running condition, the body panels, wheels, headlights and taillights look to be in good enough condition to part out the car for more than $500.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts