Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm thinking we should take a little of our 'racing' aspirations to the track.. indoor go karting track that is.
There's a K1 track in Irvine, which I think is centrally located for the So Cal people. We can take over the entire track. I've done this a couple times with the vette guys and had a BLAST!
The "Grand Prix" package is only $60 and by the time you're done with those races, YOU'RE EXHAUSTED! These are electric karts and really fast. "bumping" is really frowned upon and you will get taken off the track if you keep doing it.

So, we need to see who's interested; when you're available; and put in your $0.02 on package preference. Although it's open for anyone in our group, I think they make kids under 16 go through a driver's course which is held on different days. You can't show up and go through it before a race.

http://www.k1speed.com/race-packages.html

Who's up? (May 11-25 is out. SantaMonicaSLK32 can't make it)

UPDATES:

The date will be June 5.
Time: 3:00pm.
Meet there at 2:30pm
K1 Speed Irvine
17221 Von Karman Ave,
Irvine, CA 92614
Cost: $60 per person. You will pay them directly when you get there.
Race: Grand Prix. (3 races)
The "reservation" is under my name. If you get there early, you can go directly to the counter and sign in / pay.

Everything is supplied. Do not come in sandals. Please read the website for rules/restrictions.

Ok, here's the list so far.

1. Alansglide
2. Bleen
3. Durkatlon
4. Etyu
5. LynxFX
6. mattmintun
7. Santamonica SLK32
8. SLKLuv
9. Todd157k
10. Tslick

... so who else wants to be sheep for my slaughter? R)

·
Registered
843 Posts
So I'm thinking we should take a little of our 'racing' aspirations to the track.. indoor go karting track that is.
There's a K1 track in Irvine, which I think is centrally located for the So Cal people. We can take over the entire track. I've done this a couple times with the vette guys and had a BLAST!
The "Grand Prix" package is only $60 and by the time you're done with those races, YOU'RE EXHAUSTED! These are electric karts and really fast. "bumping" is really frowned upon and you will get taken off the track if you keep doing it.

So, we need to see who's interested; when you're available; and put in your $0.02 on package preference. Although it's open for anyone in our group, I think they make kids under 16 go through a driver's course which is held on different days. You can't show up and go through it before a race.

http://www.k1speed.com/race-packages.html

Who's up? (May 11-25 is out. SantaMonicaSLK32 can't make it)

Still up for this! And I am "only" out of town from May 11 through May 20th. The weekend of May 22 and 23 works fine for me, plus any of the following weekends.

The Grand Prix or Lemans packages looks best to me. The least expensive package doesn't seem like very much track time.

·
Registered
299 Posts
This sounds like fun, count me in.

The Grand Prix sounds good. I agree that the Grand Prix Mini is too short.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I enjoy doing K1 but what kind of package are you talking about for $60? Usually ive had enough after 2-3 different races and I thought it was like $10 each time or something, are we racing all day or something? :p

End of May wont work for me as im moving, but by June I can probably do something.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
I've been working the last 2 Sundays and scheduled again to work this Sunday. May 23rd is still a ?

I am interested. Just need to see what date and time. This will be my first experience.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Done indoor kart racing (gas powered) before. I had a blast. I'm up for the $60 or $80 package... but I'll be out of the country from 6/26 to 7/11. Any other weekend I'm good.

Just looked at the website and they also have a 5 race special for $75, vs a $80 package for 4 races. The difference is that we'd have the track for ourselves with the $80 or $60 packages, whereas with the specials we wouldn't.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
So - - - you gonna organise a 'SLK World series' - regional heats (different countries), - then a 'world' shoot out - not necessarily done over a year, but work up to it? (btw, last time I went Kart racing, it was a blast - no problems in the Kart, but drivin home after was weird - 1st corner I came to, couldn't realise how much I had to turn the wheel to get round :eek:).

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, looks like May is out, so how is everyone for June 5?

SLKluv- The "Grand Prix" is 3 races. If you look on the K1 website, you'll see the races are usually $20/race when you buy them in 2 or 3 packs. The difference is, we'll get the track to ourselves. There's NOTHING worse that having a bunch of slow traffic making a mess of my perfect victory! :rb

Wolly - I hear airfare is pretty reasonable now. I suggest you get over the pond and get to some hard core racing! :rockon:

·
Registered
843 Posts
June 5th works for me :burnout: Gives me a weekend to practice before hand!

And off topic: Drove around the Puget Sound area and the Olympic Peninsula area yesterday in a rented Mazda 3. Not bad for a low cost rental, but I sure missed having my SLK32 for those roads.

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,935 Posts
Reminder: the weekend right after this (6/13) is the North San Diego County run. Hope this doesn't cause meeting fatigue. :burnout:

·
19,407 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good find Bleen. I'll ask them if we can use coupons for the Grand Prix. I'm going to try and call them this afternoon. I'm super snowed at work right now.

Etyu - Was thinking the afternoon would be good. Let me know if you have time restrictions and we'll work around them.

See first post for updates.

·
19,407 Posts
Etyu - Was thinking the afternoon would be good. Let me know if you have time restrictions and we'll work around them.

See first post for updates.
afternoon June 5th is OK.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts