Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, just put some go-faster stripes on my 170 this morning, I can already hear the cries of Philistine, sacrilege etc :laugh: but I think they look ok and at least make it look a bit different, my mates can spot me a mile off now :smile:.
By the way I am 63 and NOT a boy racer, just thought the car looked a bit boring like all the others, and they only cost £40.00 off ebay ( 61.91 US Dollars).
Hoping to get 2 to 3 years fairly trouble free motoring out of the car and then I can virtually throw it away as I only paid £2400.00 for it a few weeks ago 62000 genuine miles ( not bad for an 18 year old car ).

Attachments

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,480 Posts
Whatever makes you happy....but you also said...
just thought the car looked a bit boring like all the others

Boring? all the others? That is what you might be shot down for :D :D :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whatever makes you happy....but you also said...
just thought the car looked a bit boring like all the others

Boring? all the others? That is what you might be shot down for :D :D :D
Don't know what the ratio of silver slk's is in the States, but about 80% are over here, I would have much preferred a black or blue one but I had to have this one when I saw condition and mileage.
So I will stand by my statement as regards I thought my car looked boring in silver ( as all the other silver ones do to me ) and needed cheering up a bit :)
The beauty about driving an old car that hasn't much value like mine is that you can do what you like to them without worrying about re-sale value.
As you so rightly say " whatever makes you happy "

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
why would you want to throw it away after 2or 3 years?should be another 10 years in it
It was just that I would have had my monies worth after that amount of time if nothing goes wrong , but it would realistically be worth about £1200-£1400 then ( lots for sale over here for around that price. ) and they are really hard to sell at that price as people are afraid of huge repair bills ( quite rightly ).
So no, I won't be throwing it away as long as it behaves itself ( pse already gone, no interior light, locking switch, ). just ordered matt black wheel arch kit to cover up bubbling arches ( will grind down, kurust then cover up ) another controversial move methinks :) but again not worth new wings/repair again and again.

·
2007 SLK350 fastdawg
4,502 Posts
A little bit out of the box never hurts! I like being different, within reason. Good find, glad you like your stripes!

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
900 Posts
By the way I am 63 and NOT a boy racer, just thought the car looked a bit boring like all the others....
Thats why this 63yo put a hula hula girl in the back window!

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,745 Posts
Not sure about the rear, but the bonnet looks pretty good and is one of the most tasteful go faster stripes I've seen, enjoy!

·
DAS/STAR Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,024 Posts
Never be afraid to do your own thing ... not everyone will like it, but who cares!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got the wheel arch covers today from Poland, £58.00 ,
MERCEDES SLK R170 BRAND NEW WHEEL ARCH TRIM SET BLACK Matt on SALE '96-04 | eBay
will fit them in next few days and post some pics. Hopefully they will look ok and as they are satin black painted stainless steel and will disguise the rather inadequately protected bodywork and the rust bubbles underneath. As I have said before, my car cost very little money so no point spending good money trying to keep ahead of the rust, but it is a great car to drive and doing it this way I will be able to run it for quite a while not having to worry about keeping up with that rust.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Man, that is one awesome looking fast stripes!
The best and fastest I've ever seen.
Yes, I've had a fair amount of silver color cars and they did give me a boring look. The fast stripes is a great idea for that syndrome!

I'm the same way as how the OP thinks of the car.
I paid $5000 for my 2001 SLK 320 that had 75,000 miles earlier this year. If this car runs w/o expensive issues for next 2 or 3 years, I'd consider it as a "throw away" after that. I think I would have got my $$ out of it by then. But the car is running so well so far, I have a feeling I will keep it for a long time though. And certainly I don't treat my SLK as a "throw away" though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Man, that is one awesome looking fast stripes!
The best and fastest I've ever seen.
Yes, I've had a fair amount of silver color cars and they did give me a boring look. The fast stripes is a great idea for that syndrome!

I'm the same way as how the OP thinks of the car.
I paid $5000 for my 2001 SLK 320 that had 75,000 miles earlier this year. If this car runs w/o expensive issues for next 2 or 3 years, I'd consider it as a "throw away" after that. I think I would have got my $$ out of it by then. But the car is running so well so far, I have a feeling I will keep it for a long time though. And certainly I don't treat my SLK as a "throw away" though.
Chazman, you're a man after my own heart :) had mine 6 weeks now and all is well,loving driving it , 2 more years trouble free would be marvelous :) got the wheel arch protectors on this afternoon, think that should really read wheel arch rust hiders, got the black ones ( stainless steel satin black ) the chrome ones always looked like cover ups but I am hoping these look better alongside the black stripes. They do to me and that's all that matters :)

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.