1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,880 Posts
what color is your car?

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Hey was just wondering what anyone's opinion was on the best way to remove swirl marks?

Not sure if it makes much difference but my top coat is a Synthentic Coat by these guys:
AutoProtect | Synthetic Coat

Cheers
Hi Chris,

If your car's top coat has swirl marks (as opposed to the Auto Protect), usually caused by bad washing regimes or car washes, then they need carefully polishing out before resealing.

This will also take off the Auto Protect which you may not want to do.

I decided I wanted to do mine and did a great deal of research on detailing web sites, who recommended Junkman2000 videos on YouTube. He is very good.

I ended up buying a Dual Action polisher for about £100, a clay sponge, Meguiars 105 and 205 polish with the appropriate pads and polish angel master sealant, and had a go myself. I did practice on another car first :smile: I didn't find it difficult. There are many other good detailing products on the market. There are a number of guys on here that have done their own car that will probably chip in.

Of course, if you don't fancy it you can get it done professionally.

Good luck with what you decide.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,880 Posts
C

Didn't check out his profile then Jeff >:D
Nah and he has not entered the ROTM or has an album or garage pics :D
I see 'red' but his profile says 'blue' :D

·
Banned
974 Posts
If you're a hands-on person & cost is an issue I can see the attraction of buying the required equipment & doing it yourself & as per the wise advice, trying it on another car first! Balance the cost of that in £ & time & judge if you would use the equipment on a regular basis against securing the services of a professional.
This route means you can relax while somebody else does the work & has the responsibility of doing a good job. Then seek their advice as to how to minimise future swirling by adopting the correct washing regime. Given adherence to such advice you may well have no need to pay again for professional correction of what will be your errors.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Meguires paint correction system. I use it along with the Meg's DA machine. Kit comes with compound and polish along with a microfiber cutting pad and finishing pad. Videos make it very easy to use and your car will come out great.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Hello boys and girls, the Junkman comin' at ya...
I'll second the "Junkman" videos on Youtube. Take a couple hours and watch & listen to the man. He will teach you safe paint correction and polishing techniques.

As far as specifics. I can tell you what works for me:

• Two bucket wash (do NOT use dish soap, any quality car wash will work)
  • Clay the entire car - take your time, and clean every surface
  • Meguiar's 105 compound on 5½" Hexlogic Orange pad (my Alabaster white paint had been abused by the PO and the lot prep guys so had massive swirls). Take your time. The MB clearcoat is rather tough (compared to BMW & Mazda).
  • Meguiar's 205 polish on 5½" Hexlogic White pad.
  • Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax (2 coats)
It's all a bit of work (took me 20+ hours to get to ~80% of perfect), but well worth the effort.

"Technique trumps product every time"

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input guys. Looks like I have some research to do but at least I now have a few pointers in the right direction.

I guess the first thing I need to do is figure out if the swirls are on the autoprotect top layer of underneath it.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Monk, looks like you should enter the ROTM competition !!
I agree, I think your car is one of my absolute favourite R171s on here, looks awesome in white. :tu:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts