Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been lazy and had my car washed for me on the cheap but have decided to invest in some detailing kit and have done a bit of research, this is what I'm planning on doing tomorrow if the weather holds up as I've got some holiday from work and want to try and get rid/cover up the horrendous swirl marks on my new SLK.

This is my plan, any feedback on order etc would be great!

1. Rinse carefully.
2. AG shampoo, 2 bucket method with quality mit.
3. Dry with quality megs towel.
4. Use AG HD cleaner to get rid of old wax etc
5. AG clay bar kit
6. Rinse and wash again.
7. AG SRP 2 or 3 coats, up to 4 or 5 on major swirl marked areas.
8. AG EGP.
9. AG HD Wax, maybe 2 coats?

Of course I'd do wheels first and then top to bottom of car with a different wash mit for everything below knee height.

Does that sound good for a nice starter clean that can just be maintained for a few months before repeating?

Have I missed anything? Is this the best way to get swirls out of a black car? Should I just keep building up the SRP to fill the swirls? Is EGP followed by HD wax overkill or worth it for a good deep clean every 3-6 months?

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,758 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
That's a slippery road you've started on :grin:

You will get better results the more time, money & effort you put in>:D

Your regime looks to be ok - The link above goes into a lot of detail.

AG SRP will fill in SMALL SHALLOW swirl marks (best to polish them out)
I use Meguiers Ultimate compound on a DA machine.

FYI - Colinite 476 [lasts over 4 months!] and Fusso soft99 give very good results :wink:

For stone chips - I fill with paint leave at least a week then use 3000 grit and re polish & wax.

Good luck and welcome to the club.

·
Banned
801 Posts
The link JB posted is pretty good, but the OP's method is too much trouble. Just do this:

Wash with a car wash soap.

Clay vehicle - BTW, it isn't necessary to wash again.

I'd recommend living with the swirls on a black car; unless, you are willing to learn how to use a polisher which isn't easy to do correctly. The best idea is to practice on another car. Perhaps Dad's?

Wax. Any goop that turns you on is OK. They all do the same thing and most of the virtues are advertising hyperbole. I like the recommendations of CR.

Finally the key thing is to wash with a soft quality wash mitt. I like the Absorber for drying.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Your plan looks sound. I follow a very similar process with a different brand of products (Klasse). I would also recommend getting a dual action orbital polisher, which presents a far lower risk of damaging the paint. I would also keep a supply of 'junk' microfiber to use on the wheels and underbody. You don't want to rub wheel dust on the paint or you will just make the scratches worse. If I were embarking on this process and had some scratches in the paint, I would update your plan slightly as follows:

1. Rinse carefully.
2. AG shampoo, 2 bucket method with quality mit.
3. Dry with quality megs towel.
4. Use AG HD cleaner to get rid of old wax etc
5. AG clay bar kit
6. Rinse and wash again.
6.1 Mask off emblems, weatherstripping, etc. with painter's tape
6.2 Polish with a medium compound and the orbital polisher
6.3 Rinse and dry
6.4 Polish with a fine/jeweling compound and the orbital polisher
6.5 Rinse and dry
7. AG SRP 1 coats
8. AG EGP 3 coats
9. AG HD Wax 1 coat

This should remove some to all of the scratches depending on how deep they are. As with all forum advice, your milage may vary and work is done at your own risk. In the future, you could probably skip steps 6.2, 6.3 and only do steps 6.4, 6.5 every couple years if you are careful with your washing process.

It is a lengthy process, but an enjoyable one IMO. The best part is going for a drive when you're done. Take some photos!

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Your regime sounds good to me too, although, I agree with Malc3667 better to polish out swirls than fill them in. I also use a DA polishing machine with black dodo juice foam pad with megs 205 for swirls. On areas where it needs a bit more, I use megs 105 and orange dodo juice foam pad first. I practised on my wife's black BMW first :smile:, I didn't find it too difficult and was very pleased with the results.

Of course, once polished it's all about keeping to your washing regime to avoid getting any new swirls, can't keep polishing otherwise you will have no topcoat left.

I found Junkman2000 clips on YouTube very good for advice.

Also agree no need to dry car first before claying. If you find clay bars difficult to use, try clay pads which are reusable. I used dodo juice claying spray to lubricate.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As there wasn't much of a break in rain today I went as far as wash, clay, 3 coats of SRP, and I've done one coat of EGP, just waiting for it to cure for half an hour and might put on a second if these grey clouds hold out.

I also washed the wheels and used alloy sealant and clayed and then fast glassed all the glass, followed by a glass polish.

Will post pics when I'm on a desktop as I snapped quite a few pics on the way through it.

·
Premium Member
11,227 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Surely you want to 'clean' as much as possible without touching the paintwork - rinse, then snow foam a few cms and leave to do its thing. Then rinse off.

A decent Snow foam to paint and wheels works a treat.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did actually have a snowfoam kit about 6 years ago but no idea where the bits and bobs are now haha

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
11,227 Posts
I think I'll wait until the Piecha exhaust arrives and is fitted along with the amg diffuser, lowered suspension, tints etc, no point trying for it unless I'm 100% prepared!
It's not often that WindRestrictor offer the additional prize, so perhaps enter this month to try to win the BIG prize!... if you don't win, you can always enter again once you've done the other mods! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts