Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I occasionally have buffering issues when I use DAS with my MacBook over a serial to USB connection.

While data transfers fine most of the time I sometimes have the software lock up when writing (scary when that happens) or reading the car. The computer itself does not crash, and I can simply just restart the software after this happens.

My theory is that because I am using a USB to r232 serial adaptor that I occasionally suffer from data buffering issues. Simply put, sometimes the pipeline gets overflowed and it causes the software to crap itself.

The solution for this (in my mind) is to get one of these. Seeing as my macbook I use for school/diagnostics is an older model it has a Expresscard 34 port, and I would think that this would solve the data buffering issue since it uses a native r232 chipset and goes over PCI-E.

It is not like I am going to put anything else in there (maybe a usb card...), so I am thinking "why the hell not?".

Thoughts?

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
2,289 Posts
I occasionally have buffering issues when I use DAS with my MacBook over a serial to USB connection.

While data transfers fine most of the time I sometimes have the software lock up when writing (scary when that happens) or reading the car. The computer itself does not crash, and I can simply just restart the software after this happens.

My theory is that because I am using a USB to r232 serial adaptor that I occasionally suffer from data buffering issues. Simply put, sometimes the pipeline gets overflowed and it causes the software to crap itself.

The solution for this (in my mind) is to get one of these. Seeing as my macbook I use for school/diagnostics is an older model it has a Expresscard 34 port, and I would think that this would solve the data buffering issue since it uses a native r232 chipset and goes over PCI-E.

It is not like I am going to put anything else in there (maybe a usb card...), so I am thinking "why the hell not?".

Thoughts?
Matt,

As you say - why the hell not. If it doesn't resolve the problem then work on another solution. I do know that many people have had problems with various adapters that they have tried in order to work around a computer that does not have the R232 serial port. You could always upgrade to the C4 muxer.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Matt,

As you say - why the hell not. If it doesn't resolve the problem then work on another solution. I do know that many people have had problems with various adapters that they have tried in order to work around a computer that does not have the R232 serial port. You could always upgrade to the C4 muxer.
The C4 is not worth the money for the ethernet connectivity.

I will pul the trigger on this once my credit card rolls over this month... will report the results when I have tested it a bit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts