Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new SLK32 owner. I've owned Italian cars in the past (Alfa Romeos, not Ferrari unfortunately) and they needed to be driven hard to be properly maintained. My mechanic called it the "Italian Tune-up". Are AMG's similar? Does the car benefit from being driven aggressively from time to time?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,217 Posts
Absolutely!!!!

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
I'm a new SLK32 owner. I've owned Italian cars in the past (Alfa Romeos, not Ferrari unfortunately) and they needed to be driven hard to be properly maintained. My mechanic called it the "Italian Tune-up". Are AMG's similar? Does the car benefit from being driven aggressively from time to time?

Not sure - But this driver sure does ! :biglaugh:

·
97,217 Posts
forgot to ask you, you got an owner's and maintenance manual? let us know if u don't

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I do. Previous owner gave me pretty much everything (manuals, extra keys, replacement parts etc.). The windscreen is missing though. Is it just a screen or are there other parts involved. Any advice on where to buy and what it costs would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
Look in the trunk for the mesh windscreen. It may even be down in the spare tire well. You can also look behind and under your seats for it.

That said - I would go for a Plastic Windscreen. I prefer the OEM one, but it will cost you $350 - $450. In fact there's one for sale right now in the For Sale forum. You can also search eBay for SLK Windstop. There are other plastic ones that are less expensive than the OEM, and we even have a site sponsor called Windrestrictor that makes some really nice looking ones.

The only cavet to that is that the first $300 I would spend on my SLK would be for a SmartTop module. The SLKStore has them. You gain ~ ten new mods with the module that are fantastic IMHO. Raise & lower the top using three clicks of the key fob, Chirp upon lock/unlock, Raise/lower top while moving up to 30MPH, Use fogs as DRL's, One click raise/lower top using inside button, and a few more. It has really helped my enjoyment of the car. Put the top down as you're walking to the car, get where you're going, get out, slam the door, and the car buttons itself up while you're walking away. The hardest thing is not looking back ! :biglaugh:

Just search SmartTop on here and you'll read all about it.

Enjoy !

·
97,217 Posts
Gee Gene. It is like I have a twin!! same thoughts!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, that sounds great. I will be buying that immediately!
I will look in the spare tire compartment. I've checked all the other spots.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
1,467 Posts
Oh, that sounds great. I will be buying that immediately!
I will look in the spare tire compartment. I've checked all the other spots.
Indeed, a SmartTop is an invaluable add-on to your car and can be considered a "must-have" for the SLK...

Post up a picture of your car when you have time to take one... and welcome to the forum..

·
Registered 2012 SLK250-gone
1,212 Posts
slam the door? or is it gently but firmly close the door? I always look back at the car - checking out the side view mirrors to make sure they're folded up.

Put the top down as you're walking to the car, get where you're going, get out, slam the door, and the car buttons itself up while you're walking away. The hardest thing is not looking back ! :biglaugh

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A couple pics. I'm lousy at uploading these things but I will get more up soon. There are some cool interior accessories (handbrake, shifter, door grabs etc.) the previous owner installed.

Instagram
Instagram

·
1,212 Posts
nice photos!! did you tint your windows? Since I can't see your rear window, I was wondering if you tinted that one. We tinted our 2011 Camaro's rear window to about 85% tint... you almost couldn't see through it. We never got pulled over by the cops in that vehicle. When we passed them, we used to roll the windows down and drive at the speed limit while everyone else would just zoom past 10 miles an hour faster.

A couple pics. I'm lousy at uploading these things but I will get more up soon. There are some cool interior accessories (handbrake, shifter, door grabs etc.) the previous owner installed.

Instagram
Instagram

·
1,212 Posts
must have... I've resisted the urge so far! you're not my father! I'll never give in to the dark side! nooooooo!:rockon:

Indeed, a SmartTop is an invaluable add-on to your car and can be considered a "must-have" for the SLK...

Post up a picture of your car when you have time to take one... and welcome to the forum..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you! I absolutely love this car. I've never had so much fun driving anything. Period.
The windows were already tinted when I bought it but just the sides. The rear is untouched.

·
97,217 Posts
we are your father. you will succumb to the smarttop force

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thank you! I absolutely love this car. I've never had so much fun driving anything. Period..
Have you tried a twin turbo 911? :burnout:

I love the SLK as a smooth roadster, but my old 951 still blows me away driving wise, and that's only a 4cyl ... what's even more incredible is that it can also carry my mountain bike (inside the car), a canoe, or music gear ... I miss the luggage space in the SLK. Have to get creative just to go to the beach.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.