Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
*Registered
2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
This has come up before - I am surprised that you are not seeing 6 as the high normally and even 7. 8 and 9 are the usual suspects.

Simply you might not be using enough power required for the box to find the higher gears. Have you taken the car onto a place where you can give your right foot some weight?

Have you asked your MB dealer for an answer? I think you should as the 250CDI has an extremely high torque and should easily hold the higher gears - certainly 6, 7 and 8 - if not 9.

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
At the risk of sounding stupid if the car is fitted with a 9 G tronic trans why does the dash only show 5 as the highest gear.?
Your car has a 7-speed gearbox. 9-speed only became available in MY2016, so cars built from July 2015 forwards. Even so, in NI there should be ample opportunity to get the car into 7th gear. Are you in S mode? In ECO mine goes into 7th at about 40mph.

·
*Registered
2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
Your car has a 7-speed gearbox..
:cool:

Back to the reasoning of torque - i hit 7 much later, but stupidly, in E mode, it holds 7 right down to 40 with the whole show rattling itself out of its mountings when it decides enough is enough and changes to 6 then 5.

In fact, I reckon E mode is a waste of time on the 200/250. MB should allow S to be set and stay there which will be far better for the smaller cars. I would go as far to say that S would give a more economical return as well...

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
:cool:

Back to the reasoning of torque - i hit 7 much later, but stupidly, in E mode, it holds 7 right down to 40 with the whole show rattling itself out of its mountings when it decides enough is enough and changes to 6 then 5.

In fact, I reckon E mode is a waste of time on the 200/250. MB should allow S to be set and stay there which will be far better for the smaller cars. I would go as far to say that S would give a more economical return as well...
I posted something almost identical in 2013 because I was utterly convinced the car was more economical in S mode. And, it never does that thing where it drags itself along at 950rpm in top gear at 40mph. It's horrible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.