Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered 2002 SLK230K
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks. I would really appreciate some advice or opinions.

I have a 230k 2002 Designo Edition and around two weeks ago after being parked for only an hour after working fine I started the car up and immediately heard a high pitched whine when driving. Carrying on down the road it continued but ultimately at a roundabout it would not even engage into second gear and ultimately I had to get it towed home. It is presently sitting at a garage whilst I try to figure out what to do for the best.

I have had a quote for an auto box repair / rebuild at £1500 plus VAT but haven't gone as far as looking at filters etc not wanting to add to unnecessary costs. The car has done around 72k and is in decent order.

My question is ... do I repair the car ?... should I expect other expensive issues ?.. or should I cut my losses and buy another and attempt to part exchange it.

Any advice most welcome ...

all the best, Matt

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
4,687 Posts
Presumably you've read about the pilot bushing issue - did you check it, and for ATF in the passenger footwell?

·
Registered 2002 SLK230K
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Presumably you've read about the pilot bushing issue - did you check it, and for ATF in the passenger footwell?
Nothing has been checked .... the garage was just wary of auto boxes.

Does my issue sound like it could be this ....

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,143 Posts
Although done on a 171 @frogfoot recently sourced a recon tranny and had a local indy fit it.

He might be able to suggest a few ideas when he drops by.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
4,687 Posts
Nothing has been checked .... the garage was just wary of auto boxes.

Does my issue sound like it could be this ....
Yes, possibly. Also - find a better mechanic. These tranny's done suffer from mechanical issues typically. It's usually electronic.

·
Long Time Member 2005 SLK350
3,698 Posts
Although done on a 171 @frogfoot recently sourced a recon tranny and had a local indy fit it.

He might be able to suggest a few ideas when he drops by.
Close..it was a rear diff I got from a breakers yard darn south and MB of hull ( main dealer ! :) ) fitted it... saved around 2 grand :smile::smile:

For the price quoted on the repair you could buy a second hand 170 and pull as many parts you like from it and get them swapped onto your car , or just find a second hand box . Ebay good place to start looking :wink::smile:

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,433 Posts
Usually pilot bushing failures were pre-98.. they upgraded the design after that. but who knows, could be anything. I would feel completely comfortable finding a used one to install.. they are good tough transmissions!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi,

I had thesame after replacing the conductorplate in the box.
Code P748. Main press sollonoid.

I did lots of things to solve this problem, long story.
On the end, I replaced (again) the oil and filter in the gearbox to be sure the level was ok.
MB resetted the car, everything allcodes cleared, all normal again.

Just 20 km from me is a Mercedes Classic dealer, they resetted the car, cost, 50 euro.......

Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts